Big stars from two different styles of music collaborating is how the 10 best rock rap songs were formed. Rap rock crosses genres by having hip-hop artists performing over hard hitting rock instrumental beats. The best rock rap songs come from original collaborations, artists putting their own spin on a song, or fusing two preexisting songs together.
- "Walk This Way" by Run-DMC. American rock band Aerosmith released their song "Walk This Way" in 1975. In 1985, hip-hop group Run-DMC contacted Aerosmith about using it, and the outcome was the first ever rock rap song. The collaboration helped expose middle America to the rap genre, which at that time was still underground.
- "Sabotage" by Beastie Boys. The rock rap song is off the album "Ill Communication" and only features the Beastie Boys. The group is an American hip hop trio consisting only of Caucasian members, which was rare back in the early 90's. It's one of the best rock rap songs because it was released in 1994, and is still wildly popular.
- "Bring The Noise" by Anthrax. One of the best rock rap songs because it is one of the first. The song was originally released by hip-hop group Public Enemy in 1988. In 1991, metal band Anthrax collaborated with Public Enemy member Chuck D to transform the hip-hop song into a rock rap collaboration.
- "Summer Time" by Sublime feat. The Pharcyde. One of the best rock rap songs comes from the alternative hip hop group The Pharcyde laying down rap verses over the track. Sublime's ska-punk sound blends great with rap, making the collaboration seem effortless.
- "Children Of The KoRn" by KoRn. Released in 1998 on the album "Follow The Leader", this song is a rock rap collaboration between Korn and Ice Cube. The rapper does the vocals, while Korn provides the rock music. The song is about how their fans rebel against parents by listening to their music. The title is a reference to Korn fans.
- "Let it Rock" by Kevin Rudolf. This 2008 rock rap song features popular hip-hop artist Lil Wayne rapping a verse on the popular track. It reached #5 on Billboard Hot 100, and was produced and written by Rudolf. It is a fun, upbeat song that perfectly mixes rap and rock.
- "Numb/Encore" by Jay-Z and Linkin Park. This collaboration rock rap song is a mash-up of Jay-Z's popular song "Encore," and Linkin Park's popular song "Numb." The two songs being blended together created a great new, and fresh sounding song. One of the 10 best rock rap songs because in 2006 it won the Best Rap/Sung collaboration Grammy.
- "Hurricane" by 30 Seconds to Mars and Kanye West. One of the latest rock rap songs is the remix of American rock group 30 Seconds to Mars song "Hurricane". The remix is rapper West's version, and he scraps auto-tune and only performs with his natural voice. He raps slower than usual, which sounds great since the rock song is on the slow side.
- "Let's Go" by Trick Daddy. This 2004 rock rap song samples Ozzy Osbourne's popular 1980 song "Crazy Train." The song uses Ozzy's memorable guitar riffs and has Twista and Lil Jon each rapping a verse. The rock rap song reached #7 on Billboard Hot 100 and is off Trick Daddy's sixth studio album, "Thug Matrimony: Married to the Streets".
- "Can A Drummer Get Some" Travis Barker featuring, Game, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross & Swizz Beatz. Travis Barker drums, while a slew of famous hip-hop artists perform on the rock rap song. Barker has a steady, and mesmerizing beat, and new comer Rick Ross steals the lime-light with lyrics. The original song comes from an album that is entirely based on fusing rap and rock together.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.