10 Best Rock Songs 2009
The 10 best rock songs 2009 were throwbacks to the days when the guitar was king and the beat was everything. In 2009, rock fans were snapping their fingers to new bands and enjoying the revival of bands from a few years ago. When you listen to the ten best rock songs 2009, you are getting a cross section of everything that made rock great decades ago.
- Seether "Careless Whisper" We have come to expect the unexpected from Seether and this cover of a 1980s Wham! song is no exception. It is unusual to find a cover song on the list of ten best rock songs, but this one was hard to ignore.
- Linkin Park "New Divide" Just when music fans think Linkin Park has disappeared, they come back with a song worthy of the list of the ten best rock songs 2009. This song was one of the hits from the soundtrack for the movie "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." It is a new sound for Linkin Park that shows a maturity in their songwriting.
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Zero" The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are never given the credit they deserve for writing innovative rock songs. "Zero" is another example of the band exceeding expectations.
- Breaking Benjamin "I Will Not Bow" Hard rockers Breaking Benjamin strike gold again with this entry in the list of ten best rock songs 2009. The song rocks hard with a rhythmic guitar riff and great vocals.
- The Decemberists "The Rake's Song" Rock and roll is always been filled with controversy and this song by The Decemberists deals with the very controversial subject of murder. What makes this one of the ten best songs 2009 is the way the morbid lyrics play inside the rather upbeat music. The whole effect makes this song creepy and memorable.
- Hockey "Too Fake" Hockey is kind of a mix between Beck, Cake and Jason Vorhees from "Friday the 13th." Just when you think it is safe to enjoy their pop beats, you understand the lyrics and it makes you think. The song "Too Fake" is an excellent example of what this band is capable of.
- Three Days Grace "Break" When you look at Three Days Grace, you sometimes forget they can rock like crazy. Their 2009 release "Break" is another example of their expertise at rocking and belongs on the list of ten best rock songs 2009.
- Free Energy "Dream City" If you have not heard of Dream City yet, eventually you will. They have a throwback sound reminiscent of the band Jet. Very dirty guitar sound, gritty vocals and a song on the list of ten best rock songs 2009.
- Girls "Hellhole Ratrace" This song can be difficult to understand because the music instantly hypnotizes you as soon as it starts. There is an airy and psychedelic feeling with Girls that has a lot of potential for future material.
- Phoenix "1901" A very retro look and sound to the band Phoenix, along with a song on the list of the ten best rock songs 2009, make these guys a band to watch for in the coming years.