Choosing the ten best rock songs about friendship is hard. The rock charts are filled with songs about relationships, including friends. Friendship is often a source of inspiration for musicians.
Sometimes there is nothing better than just hanging out with friends. Friends encourage you, support you, and let you be yourself. If you’re a music artist, they inspire you to write and perform.
Here is our list of popular rock songs about friendship, ten of the very best. Check them out, and see if you agree.
- The Beatles: "With a Little Help From My Friends" Whose list doesn’t start with this one? Ringo Starr sang this for the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album. It is hands-down the most popular rock song about friendship.
- James Taylor: "You’ve Got a Friend" Although Carole King wrote and originally recorded this song, James Taylor’s version made it famous. The song is a reminder that "all you got to do is call," and you’ve got a friend who will "come running." Many artists have covered this mellow tune through the years.
- The White Stripes: "We’re Going to be Friends" When we think of friends, we often think back to our school days, right? This band sings about meeting a new friend at the beginning of a school year. The film "Napoleon Dynamite" features this song in the opening credits.
- Queen: "You’re My Best Friend" It’s been said that Queen’s bass guitarist, John Deacon, wrote this song for his wife. Freddie Mercury sang the vocals on the recording. You can hear this song on the band’s "A Night at the Opera" album.
- The Rembrandts: "I’ll Be There For You" Here is another song that likely appears on everyone’s list. This power-pop tune is best known as the theme song for the "Friends" TV series. It celebrates the humor in friendship.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: "My Friends" This moody song is another great one about friendship. It actually explores the loneliness and emptiness that people sometimes feel—something we can all relate to. The band included this song on their Greatest Hits album.
- Foo Fighters: "Friend of a Friend" The "friend" in this song is up for debate. Some say the song refers to Dave Grohl’s relationship with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana (Grohl was the drummer for Nirvana until Cobain’s death). Others think the "friend’s friend" in the song is actually a guitar. Either way, it’s a great song about friendship.
- Led Zeppelin: "Friends" Undeniably one of the best friendship songs in the rock genre, this Led Zeppelin song contains an amazing string arrangement. In fact, it is one of the few Zeppelin songs to include strings.
- The Pretenders: "I’ll Stand By You" This is one of the band’s most significant singles—and one of their most recognizable songs. The rock ballad pledges love and faithfulness in dark times.
- The Beatles: "In My Life" We end our list of the top ten friendship songs in rock with another Beatles song. Several artists have covered this song through the years, and it seems to be a favorite Beatles tune for a lot of folks. The lyrics offer a fitting tribute to our friends: "Some are dead and some are living / In my life I’ve loved them all."
George-Warren, Holly, Patricia Romanowski, and Jon Pareles. The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. Rev. ed. New York, NY: Fireside Press, 2001. Print.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.