Rock music has been about breaking the norm and individuality since the beginning, so this list of the 10 best rock songs about individuality is just the tip of the iceberg. Play these songs and embrace all your weird quirks.
- “Come As You Are.” Breaking out at a time when hair metal was still in full spandex swing, Nirvana was a testament to musical individuality. This song, about presenting oneself honestly, fits right in with the band’s unique style, a groundbreaking blend of pop, hard rock and metal.
- “Minority.” Billie Joe Armstrong sings “I wanna be the minority” in Green Day’s “Minority.” Well, he certainly is a minority in regards to being a famous rock star. This is one of the best rock songs about individuality, set to a bouncy punk beat.
- “The Middle.” “Just be yourself / It doesn’t matter if it’s good enough for someone else,” sings Jim Adkins in Jimmy Eat World’s “The Middle,” one of the best rock songs about individuality. The video echoes the song’s message: two individuals keep their clothes on at an underwear party.
- “This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race.” Despite being huge pop stars, Fall Out Boy came from the punk scene, where individuality sometimes takes a backseat to scene politics. Lyricist Pete Wentz compares scene nonsense to an arms race set to music that sounds like a cross between the Backstreet Boys and Green Day.
- “Be Yourself.” Coming from two popular bands, Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden, the band members of Audioslave broke out and did their own thing. This is one of the best rock song about individuality, it’s message clear.
- “It’s My Life.” Decades after The Animals delivered the oldie of the same name, Jersey glam metal stars came out with this comeback single. Don’t tell Bon Jovi they’re too old to rock.
- “My Life.” Billy Joel doesn’t care what you say about his life. He’s going to record doowop songs one minute and classical music the next. The Piano Man wrote one of the best rock songs about individuality in “My Life,” telling all the haters to buzz off.
- “I’m Free.” “I’m free to sing my song knowing it’s out of trend,” sings Mick Jagger in The Rolling Stones’ “I’m Free.” This comes from the same band that jumped on every bandwagon that came along (psychedelic, disco, New Wave), but it’s still one of the best rock songs about individuality.
- “It’s My Life.” From the same band that turned “House of the Rising Sun” into a chart hit comes one of the best rock songs about individuality, “It’s My Life.” The Animals sing “it’s my life and I’ll do what I want,” which are fitting words for rock stars.
- "Watching the Wheels." "People say I'm crazy, doing what I'm doing," sings John Lennon in one of the best rock songs about individuality. He'd been one of the biggest rock stars on earth and turned to family life. This song finds the former Beatle basking in his individuality.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.