If action roles interest you, consider one of these 10 best role-playing games for PC. Designed for adults or teens, each role-playing game (RPG) provides excellent customization and creativity options. All of these games offer high adventure, intense action and plenty of scenarios to challenge your skills.
- "Dragon Age: Origins" As challenging role-playing games go, "Dragon Age: Origins" ranks number one among online customers and reviewers. This 2009 release from Electronic Arts is a single-player RPG set in a fantasy environment with interesting characters and exciting battles. A new game lists online for about $30.
- "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" is another bestseller in PC role-playing games. This 2007 Bethesda game allows players to unravel a rich, epic narrative at their own pace. The game is so "huge" that it may seem impossible to complete. It retails online for about $20.
- "The Witcher" "The Witcher," a 2007 Atari game, is another favorite in the role-playing genre. Based on the "Witcher Saga" novels by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, the game combines a fantasy storyline, rich character development and real-time combat. It sells online for around $30.
- "Fallout 3" Bethesda introduced "Fallout 3" in 2008. Reviewers call this RPG "profoundly engrossing." The post-Apocalyptic game has players fighting for survival after nuclear fallout. Gamers can choose to play from a first-person or third-person perspective. Online stores sell "Fallout 3" for about $20.
- "Mount and Blade" "Mount and Blade," a 2008 game from Paradox Interactive, gets rave reviews as an innovative RPG. This demanding game of medieval sword-fighting requires high concentration and intense interaction. Like many other games on our list, a new copy costs about $20.
- "Mass Effect 2" "Mass Effect 2," a 2010 Electronic Arts release, is another favorite role-playing game. It is a single-player space-based adventure with heavy weapons and massive battles. The sequel allows gamers to continue their play from the original game. Expect to pay around $30 for this game.
- "King’s Bounty: The Legend" A 2008 game from Atari, "King’s Bounty: The Legend" is called an "old school role-playing game." It combines strategy, adventure and role-playing elements in a spell-binding fantasy environment. Online retailers list this game for about $30.
- "Torchlight" "Torchlight" is a 2009 game from Encore. Players create and customize their character from three classes—destroyer, alchemist or vanquisher. The game creates random levels for new and unique adventures every time. This game costs about $20.
- "Risen" "Risen" is another RPG set in a medieval world. The 2009 Deep Silver release is similar to the "Gothic" games from Dreamcatcher Interactive. "Risen" includes four chapters, and players decide which side to join. At around $40.00, it’s one of the most expensive games on our list.
"Fable: the Lost Chapters" The last item on our "ten best" list is "Fable: the Lost Chapters," a 2008 RPG from Feral Interactive. Players explore an evolving world with competitive heroes and changing weather systems. The environment is always changing, so gamers never play the same game twice. The most expensive game on the list, this one costs around $50.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.