These 10 best romance movies are best served with a bucket of popcorn that has a hole cut into the bottom of it. Keep the bucket on your lap and toward the end of the movie you can give your lady friend a big surprise (or a small surprise if you’re less fortunate). She’ll be so won over by your ability to appreciate a good romantic movie that there’s at least a 50/50 chance she’ll go along with it.
- “Casablanca.” Are you kidding? Of course Casablanca is going to be the number one romantic movie of all time. At their best, other romantic movies can only hope to remind you in some small way of how great Casablanca is. Here’s looking at you, kid.
- “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” In real life, romance ain’t easy. There are few movies that portray the difficulties of romance as realistically as this one. When the movie’s over, your significant other will want to hold onto you tightly and never let go. Wink, wink.
- “Romeo and Juliet.” Go with the 1968 Franco Zeffirelli version of this Shakespearean classic and most definitely NOT the awful, MTV-ish one with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in it. The Zeffirelli version is both well done and has some bare breasts in it, so it’s a win-win.
- “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” This movie has romance and some pretty kick-ass action sequences, so even if you’re not into all that love stuff you can at least make a pretty convincing attempt at faking it. That is one of the reasons it is one of the best romance movies of all time. (The rest of the reasons mostly involve it just being a really well-made film.)
- “Brokeback Mountain.” Hey, not everyone wants to romance someone of the opposite sex. If you’re more into checking the dudes out at the dude ranch, then this movie is for you. Even if you aren’t into the man-on-man action, you can at least prove to your lady friend that you’re not a small-minded homophobe. You’ll even get to watch a pretty darn good romance movie in the process.
- “Harold and Maude.” Maybe you’re looking for the best romantic movie to watch with an older lady (or a “cougar,” to use the scientific term). Well, then this is the movie for you. You won’t find another film with this much of an age disparity between the younger man and the older woman. Oddly enough, though, it ends up being really touching and poignant rather than just utterly creepy.
- “As Good As It Gets.” Are you a cranky, OCD-afflicted misanthrope who wants to somehow convince the woman you are wooing that these qualities actually make you a desirable mate rather than someone to avoid at all costs? There’s only one man who can pull that off for you, and that’s Jack Nicholson. This film makes our list of the 10 best romantic movies because it makes the unloveable look loveable, and we need all the help we can get.
- “The Science of Sleep.” Another quirky, indie romance movie by the director of “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” this film also has the added bonus of taking place in France and thus including a good amount of French dialogue. It is a proven scientific fact that the French language makes women surrender their pants faster than any other.
- “It’s a Wonderful Life.” This movie is so saccharine you might go into a diabetic coma just watching it. There’s a reason it’s considered one of the best romantic movies of all time, though. It makes domesticity look positively charming. Watch this movie with your loved one around Christmastime and she will be hanging her stockings with care… while getting naked.
- “Once.” We’ve almost reached the bottom of our proverbial popcorn bucket and so far there hasn’t been a single musical. No worries; this lesser-known romantic movie is a perfect fit for music lovers. Starring the ex-boyfriend-and-girlfriend band The Swell Season, this is one musical that actually doesn’t suck. Go ahead, give it a try! You’ll be just as surprised as she’s going to be when she reaches the bottom of that bucket.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!