You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for the 10 best Russian action movies. These films cover a variety of subjects, from historical battles to futuristic imaginings. They all have one thing in common: they’re a thrill a minute.
- "Enemy at the Gates." Joseph Fiennes stars in this re-creation of the Battle of Stalingrad. In our opinion, it’s the best Russian action movie ever made.
- "The Star." During the Second World War, the Russians set up a special army to battle the Nazis. This film tells their story.
- "Attack on Leningrad." This is the best Russian action movie to depict the siege on Leningrad in 1941. It stars Gabriel Byrne and Mira Sorvino.
- "9th Company." Ever wonder about the Soviet war in Afghanistan? This movie tells that story.
- "The Inhabited Island." “The Inhabited Island” is a futuristic sci-fi movie set in the 22nd century. It is also one of the best Russian action movies of recent years.
- "12." Did a Chechen teenager really kill his father? This movie explores crime and punishment in modern day Russia.
- "The Apocalypse Code." “The Apocalypse Code” is a movie about terrorism that came out in 2007. It gets our vote for one of the best Russian action movies to tackle the subject.
- "The Mechanik." This thrilling action and adventure flick is about the modern day Russian mafia. It stars Dolph Lundgren.
- "Night Watch." Set in present day Moscow, “Night Watch” sees the daytime and nighttime mafia go head to head in a heated battle. The film stars Konstantin Khabenskiy.
- "Black Lightning." A college kid has no luck getting the girl of his dreams – until he is magically turned into a superhero, that is. This new film from Timur Bekmambetov rounds out our list of the best Russian action movies.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.