When people think of Mafia movies, they think of the American and Japanese Mafia, but there are also a number of the 10 best Russian Mafia movies to choose from as well. The movies include American detectives investigating the Russian Mafia in the United States as well as movies that take place in Mother Russia. From Oscar winners to cult classics, these are the best Russian Mafia movies you will find.
- “Eastern Promises”- David Cronenberg directs this crime thriller set in 1986, one of the best Russian Mafia movies. The movie follows a midwife, played by Naomi Watts, as she deals with the Russian Mafia in England. Viggo Mortensen received an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a cleaner for the Russian Mafia.
- “Red Heat”- “Red Heat” is a 1988 comedy starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Belushi as two cops trying to stop a Soviet drug lord in one of comedy’s best Russian Mafia movies. The movie is a buddy-cop flick where a laid back Chicago cop teams with a hard-nosed Russian detective.
- “Lord of War” – Nic Cage stars in this political thriller as an illegal arms dealer loosely based on former Soviet arms dealer, Viktor Bout. In this, one of cinema’s best Russian Mafia movies, the story line closely follows real life Russian mafia arms dealers from the early ‘90s.
- “RocknRolla”- Guy Ritchie directs this British crime film about a British crime boss who begins a partnership with a Russian crime lord in one of the best Russian Mafia movies. Tom Wilkinson stars as the British gangster while Czech character actor Karel Roden stars as the Russian Mafia leader.
- “Be Cool”- Based on the novel by Elmore Leonard, “Be Cool” is the sequel to “Get Shorty” and stars John Travolta as former American mobster, Chili Palmer. In “Get Shorty,” Chili finds himself on the run from the Russian Mafia after he witnesses a gangland hit, in one of the funnier best Russian Mafia movies.
- “GoldenEye”- The 17th James Bond film has Bond betrayed by a fellow agent played by Sean Bean. The two attempt to infiltrate a Soviet chemical weapons facility, only for 006 to join the Russians. The movie remains one of the best Russian Mafia movies, winning two BAFTA’s.
- “We Own the Night”- James Gray directs Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix in this ‘80s period movie, one of the best Russian Mafia movies. Wahlberg stars as Joseph, an NYPD captain and Phoenix is Bobby, his brother. Bobby owns a club frequented by a Russian gangster that his brother is trying to take down.
- “Boondock Saints”- “Boondock Saints” tells the story of two Irish Catholic brothers who lock horns with the Russian mob in one of the best Russian Mafia movies ever made. The movie was not successful when released but has received one of the largest cult followings in DVD history.
- “Training Day”- Denzel Washington won an Academy Award for his portrayal of a crooked cop in LA. Thanks to its award recognition, it remains one of the best Russian Mafia movies, as Denzel’s characters main troubles comes from money owed to the Russians who are after him the entire movie.
- “Police Story 4: First Strike”- Jackie Chan stars in the fourth movie in the “Police Story” franchise, one of the best Russian Mafia movies of all time. Chan stars as a CIA agent who teams with a Russian Colonel to find and stop the smuggling of nuclear weapons out of the country.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.