If you are looking to bone up on your Russian language and culture skills, you might want to try watching one of these, the 10 best Russian movies of 2007. We have selected the films from across a range of genres. They all affirm that Russia is a cinematic force to be reckoned with.
- "Alexandra" Widely regarded by critics as the best Russian movie of 2007, this film is about an elderly woman who goes to visit her soldier grandson, who is fighting in the Chechnyan War. Directed by Aleksandr Sokurov, who is perhaps the greatest living Russian filmmaker.
- "12" This crime film won awards at the Venice Film Festival when it was premiered there in 2007. It was directed by and stars Nikita Sergeyevich Mikhalkov.
- "Mermaid" “Mermaid” is a 2007 comic drama directed by Anna Melikian. It is a loose adaptation of “The Little Mermaid.”
- "The Banishment" “The Banishment” won acclaim as one of the best Russian movies of 2007 when it was premiered that year at the Cannes Film Festival. It is about a man and his wife who struggle when she reveals that she is pregnant with a child that is not his.
- "Rybka" This adorable animated film garnered rave reviews when it was premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival. It is the work of acclaimed Russian director Sergei Ryabov.
- "Dead Daughters" Horror movie fans the world over call this the best Russian movie of 2007. The ghosts of three little girls killed by their mother pick a random victim to watch over for three days, at the end of which they get to decide whether he will live or not.
- "Cargo 200" Late Soviet society is depicted in all its ugliness and warts. Aleksei Balabanov, who also directed the acclaimed ‘90s film “Brother”, directed the film.
- "1612" This was the best Russian movie of 2007 for fans of historical fantasy. It is set in Russia during the “Time of Troubles.”
- "The Apocalypse Code" “The Apocalypse Code” gets our vote for the best Russian action movie of 2007. It was filmed against the breathtaking backdrop of the Aurland fjords.
- "The Fit of Passion" “The Fit of Passion” debuted at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007. It is a film about young people’s inability to hold down a conversation with one another. “The Fit of Passion” rounds out our list of the best Russian movies of 2007.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.