If you’re looking for the best Russian movies of 2008, you’ve come to the right place. Our films run the gambit from high art to action and adventure. Whether you’re already an expert on classic Russian cinema or just want to bone up on your Russian for an upcoming trip, these films are a great place to start to get an insight on current Russian affairs.
- "Philosophy of a Knife" At 4 hours in length, “Philosophy of a Knife” is not only the best Russian movie of 2008, it is also probably the longest. It is about the notorious Unit 731 of the Japanese army, which undertook lethal experiments on humans during the Second World War.
- "Everybody Will Die, and I Shall Remain" This movie is about three young girls preparing for the school disco. They know that it will be the most important moment of their lives.
- "Admiral" Russian naval commander Aleksandr Vasiliyevich Kolchak was the subject of this excellent biopic. It focuses on his relationship with the poet Anna Vasilyevna Timiryova.
- "The Inhabited Island" “The Inhabited Island” gets our vote for the best Russian movie of 2008 in terms of science fiction. It is a futuristic film set in the year 2157 and stars Vasiliy Stepanov.
- "Hipsters" In terms of musicals, this was the best Russian movie of 2008. It explores Russian youth subcultures of the 1950's, during the Soviet era.
- "Morphine" If you’re a fan of movies about drugs, then “Morphine” was probably the best Russian movie of 2008. It is set in the 20th century in a remote Russian village, and is about a young doctor who gradually becomes addicted to morphine.
- "The Lottery" For lovers of teen flicks, “The Lottery” tells the story of an outcast student who impresses his fellow students with his awesome rapping skills when he moves to a new school. It has been compared to such American movies as “Heathers” and “Dangerous Minds.”
- "The Game" “The Game” is about Russia’s successful exploits in the World Cup. Sports fans won’t want to miss it.
- "The Fly" “The Fly” has been described as Russia’s response to “Million Dollar Baby.” It is about a girl boxer in the Russian provinces.
- "The Best Movie" “The Best Movie” rounds out our list of the best Russian movies of 2008. It is a comedy featuring Russian gay icon Boris Moiseev.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.