No matter what life throws at you, it's good to know 10 best sad song lyrics that make you cry. Like a good friend, a sad song helps us realize we aren't alone in our struggles. Your favorite may vary depending on what you are going through. These ten songs deal with universal issues and have stood the test of time to make this list of the best.
"Danny Boy" by Frederick Weatherly to the Tune of "Londonderry Aire". This tale of waiting for a loved one's return, with its hauntingly sad melody, has been recorded many times. “And when ye come, and all the flow'rs are dying, if I am dead, as dead I well may be, ye'll come and find the place where I am lying and kneel and say an 'Ave' there for me.”
- "God's Will" by Martina Mcbride. "I met God's Will on a Halloween night. He was dressed as a bag of leaves." Will's too-short life teaches us about priorities and real love, as "In crayon red, on notebook paper, he'd written Me and God love you." .
- "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride. This sad song about a little "concrete angle" who endures a life of abuse till "her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved" is heart-wrenching.
- "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin. "As I hung up the phone it occurred to me. He'd grown up just like me. My boy was just like me." Even good parents may find children grow up while they're not looking. This sad song speaks to parents, especially fathers, everywhere.
- "Butterfly Kisses"by Bob Carlisle. "I know I gotta let her go, but I'll always remember every hug in the morning and butterfly kisses". The pain of letting a child go on to live their own life is one of the hardest things most parents will ever endure.
- "I'll Wait For You" by Joe Nichols. In the end, even a lifetime of love ends in sorrow. The narrator in the song is constantly making his wife wait. In the end, she waits outside heaven's gates. Her note reads, "I'll tell Saint Pete I can't come in without my love and my best friend". Truly touching.
- "Tell Laura I Love Her" by Ray Peterson This young-love-lost song packs a melancholy punch. A teen tries to win a race to buy a wedding ring but crashes. "As they pulled him from the twisted wreck, with his dying breath they heard him say, tell Laura I love her."
- "Feed Jake" by Pirates of the Mississippi. People aren't the only ones left behind. "Feed Jake, he's been a good dog, my best friend right through it all. If I die before I wake, feed Jake."
- "In The Ghetto" by Elvis Presley. An impoverished and overwhelmed mother raises a son who becomes "an angry young man, face down on the street with a gun in his hand". And "as her young man dies, on a cold and gray Chicago mornin', another little baby child is born." The sad cycle starts again..
- "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles. A sad song for the lonely and forgotten. "Eleanor Rigby died in the church, and was buried along with her name. Nobody came." A reminder to reach out to others when we can.
No matter your heartache, sad songs can help you feel better. They can also encourage you to reach out to others. Though sad songs deal with pain, hopelessness, and loss, they can actually be a conduit to personal and universal healing.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!