Curious about the 10 best sad song lyrics? We’re all masochists and enjoy listening to sad song lyrics that make us cry. The sad songs on this list have specific lyrics that are beautifully and heart-wrenchingly sad.
- “The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I ever had.” The entire song “Mad World” is filled with sad song lyrics, but this one stands out among the rest. When sung with Gary Jules’ seductive voice it is even more heart-wrenching.
- “That we can be so mad we consider not to exist / When we both know there’s so much love clenched within our fists.” The Rocket Summer is a one-man band, and his song “Goodbye Waves and Drive Ways” makes you feel like your heart is being slowly ripped out of your chest, whether you’ve ever been in a harsh break up or not. His emotions come through so strongly in the song that by the end you are curled up like a baby and crying.
- “Who will bring me flowers when it’s over / And who will give me comfort when it’s cold.” The lead singer of Thriving Ivory has a hauntingly beautiful voice, so when he sings about love and heartbreak, you feel it. Also, the sad song lyrics are hauntingly beautiful as well. Find this less-known song, titled “Flowers for a Ghost.”
- “Mister Inaccessible / Will this ever change? / One that remains the same is your still a picture in a frame.” Another voice that makes the sad song lyrics even more sad. “Lost” by Anouk is a short song with few words, but they are powerful and sad. Her smoky voice adds to the tearjerker.
- “Goodbye my lover / Goodbye my friend / You have been the one / You have been the one for me.” James Blunt is another man with a sad but powerful voice. It is impossible to not cry when hearing his anguish. This sad song lyric is powerful because not only has he lost a lover, but a best friend as well.
- “Me and Lucy walking hand in hand / Me and Lucy never wanna end / I’ll see you in another life / In Heaven where we never say goodbye.” What makes these sad song lyrics from "Lucy" so sad is that not only has someone died, but the singer feels so guilty. On top of that, the lead singer of Skillet has a deep, manly voice, and hearing a man cry is sometimes funny, but mostly heartbreaking.
- “I’ve tried so hard to tell myself that you’re gone / But though you’re still with me / I’ve been alone all along.” Amy Lee from Evanescence knows how to use her voice to bring out emotions in others. This song, “My Immortal,” can be about God or loved ones lost. While the whole song is melodramatic goth rock at its best, these sad song lyrics are the strongest.
- ”A statue stands in a shaded place / An angel with an upturned face / Her name is written on polished rock / A broken heart that the world forgot.” These sad song lyrics are from the Martina McBride song “Concrete Angel.” The song is about an abused girl who never receives help. These are sad song lyrics because of the imagery. When you listen to the sad song lyrics, you see the grave in your mind, and that’s what makes you cry.
- “Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name / Nobody came / Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave / No one was saved.” Like the previous song, the sad song lyrics from “Eleanor Rigby” by The Beatles paint a sad picture in your mind. This one is of two people who failed to stop being lonely. When listening to the song, you hope they find happiness, but instead they find this.
- "I’ve seen your flag on the marble arch / But love is not a victory march / It’s a cold and it’s a broken hallelujah.” Whether sung by Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright, “Hallelujah” has the saddest song lyrics ever written. It was nearly impossible to pick the best ones from the song, as they all bring out heartbreaking imagery. Both men have beautiful voices that strengthen the lyrics.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Field Test: LA’s Best Valets Take on the Stingray
There are no wiser men than Hollywood car parkers to gauge the true star power of an automobile...
Liev Schreiber Is a Bit Nicer Than Ray Donovan
With Season 2 underway, the actor explains how he relates to the nefarious character he plays.
Lucy Kicks Ass, Metaphysics, Logic
If you are willing to relax, get on board and tweak your suspension-of-disbelief meter to 11, it’s not the worst way to spend 89 minutes.