The 10 best sad songs about love are all about being left, being in love without it being returned, being cheated on, and the pain and fear love brings. Pretty cheery stuff, but when you’ve just had a bad breakup nothing sounds better than a sad song about love.
- "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins. This song was written by British singer and songwriter Phil Collins about his first wife leaving him. It this ballad implores former lover to reconsider but the songwriter knows it is "against all odds",
- "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" written by Michael Bolton and Laura Branigan. Both of the songwriters performed this song on different albums. This song is all about the searing pain of being left alone as are many of the best sad songs about love.
- "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" performed by Boyz II Men. Although this was originally a heartbreaking love song, it has been used to memorialize some who have passed away. In fact it was recorded again in 2001 to remember Aaliyah, the singer who died earlier that year. In that sense it is still one of the best sad songs about love.
- "Yesterday" by The Beatles. This song was written and sung by Paul McCartney accompanied by a string quartet. One line from the song says it all, "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now It looks as if they're here to stay". It is one of the most listened to sad songs about love in music history.
- "How Do I Live" performed by Lee Ann Rimes. The legendary Diane Warren wrote this song. It speaks to the helplessness you feel when someone leaves you. This was written for the “Con Air” movie soundtrack and is still one of the classic sad songs about love.
- I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan. This Grammy-award winning song is known for its haunting lyrics and addressing the question we all have when we look at past relationships.
- "I Can't Make You Love Me" performed by Bonnie Raitt. This soul wrenching song is one of the most powerful sad songs about love because of the truth that everyone wants to be loved but you don’t have any control over who loves you.
- “He Stopped Loving Her Today” performed by George Jones. This old classic song brings tears to the eyes of listeners even today. It is about the end of a love in the most tragic way. It is one of the all-time best sad songs about love of all time.
- “Alone Again” by Gilbert O’Sullivan. This Irish singer and songwriter allow us to witness the misery of a groom orphaned by his parents and left at the altar, causing him to consider suicide. Makes your last breakup seem not so harsh, doesn't it?
- "Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" by B. J. Thomas. Listening to this song with a few beers and a memory of a special someone might have you literally crying in your beer.
These sad songs about love are just one list. By no means is this list all-inclusive. Everybody seems to have a few songs they consider to be the best sad songs about love that they listen to on the days when they need to wallow in a sad end to a relationship.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …