10 Best-Selling Albums Of 2008
The 10 best-selling albums of 2008 put up some impressive numbers, considering that the retail aspect of the music business has pretty much been flushed down the toilet. You could blame downloading or the production of albums that actually belong in a toilet, but either way, in 2008, these ten best-selling albums won over enough supporters that were willing to sacrifice a few dollars to purchase them.
- Lil Wayne, "Tha Carter III," 2.88 million copies Three is the magic number as Lil Wayne fills in the number one slot on this 2008 best-selling album list, making his rapper-as-rockstar image even more prevalent. With collaborators that included: T-Pain, Robin Thicke, Busta Rhymes and Jay-Z, Lil Wayne remained the focus throughout the project and did not get lost in the shuffle.
- Coldplay, "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," 2.15 million copies Led by Kanye West and Jay-Z collaborator Chris Martin, these London alternative rockers made having a best-selling album look easy during an industry-wide retail slump. This Brian Eno-produced album brings a noticeable Latin influence that makes this Coldplay offering fairly distinctive from their previous work.
- Taylor Swift, "Fearless," 2.11 million copies She may have had her 2009 MTV Video Music Award moment ruined, but Taylor Swift's record sales rose to the occasion regardless. Thanks to the lead single "Love Story," Miss Swift was able to ride her country music style into the mainstream pop music arena.
- Kid Rock, "Rock n Roll Jesus," 2 million copies The Kid that Rocks caused over two million people to rock out, making "Rock n Roll Jesus" a best-selling album. This album had a whopping six singles: "So Hot," "Amen," and "All Summer Long."
- AC/DC, "Black Ice," 1.92 million copies These veterans of rock lost zero steam and remained relevant to current audiences. This was AC/DC's fifteenth internationally-released album.
- Taylor Swift, "Taylor Swift," 1.6 million copies Not only did Taylor Swift sell over two million copies of "Fearless," her 2008 release, but her self-titled album from 2006 re-emerged and won big as well. This album produced several successful singles including: "Tim McGraw" and "Teardrops on My Guitar."
- Metallica, "Death Magnetic," 1.57 million copies Metallica was able to make money a magnetic item as well. And surely Warner Brothers Records is happy to not have given up on them. "Death Magnetic" made Metallica the first band to ever have five albums debut at number one consecutively on the Billboard charts.
- T.I., "Paper Trail," 1.52 million copies The only other hip-hop artist on this best-selling albums list is T.I. bringing home the bucks to his Grand Hustle record label. T.I. had a huge hit on this album called "Swagga Like Us," featuring Jay-Z, Kanye West and Lil Wayne.
- Jack Johnson, "Sleep Through the Static," 1.5 million copies Jack Johnson fans may have slept through the static, but not on this album. This acoustic rock collection was the fourth studio release from the singer-songwriter.
- Beyonce, "I am... Sasha Fierce," 1.46 million copies. Mrs. Jay-Z kept her superstar status intact with this strong 2008 best-selling release. The music video for her single, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" was the subject of Kanye West's outburst during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech during the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.