When figuring out the 10 Best-Selling Artists of the 90's, it is important to realize that there are a number of measures for album and single sales. The two most important are the Billboard charts and, since 1990, Nielsen SoundScan. Each of these methods reveals a different list of the 10 Best-Selling Artists of the 90's. Our list of the 10 Best-Selling Artists of the 90's is a combination of the two.
- Garth Brooks – With more than 45 million albums sold in the 90s, and three of the top 10 selling albums of the decade, this country superstar had the decade on lockdown.
- Mariah Carey - The winner of the Billboard Artist of the Decade (given to Billboard's top-selling chart performer for the decade) sold more than 30 million albums in the 90s. This has her topping their list of 10 Best-Selling Artists of the 90's even though according to SoundScan Brooks sold more titles.
- Shania Twain – Her "Come on Over" was the best-selling album of the decade, putting her very high up on the list.
- Whitney Houston – Whitney's soundtrack to the film "The Bodyguard" was the second-biggest seller of the decade.
- Elton John – His "Candle in the Wind 1997," a tribute to Princess Diana, was the biggest-selling single of the decade, placing him high on the 10 Best-Selling artists of the 90's list.
- Backstreet Boys – With two albums in the decade selling more than 10 million copies each, this boy band ushered in a new era of big sellers.
- Alanis Morissette – Her "Jagged Little Pill," which sold nearly 20 million copies, ensured her position on the 10 Best-Selling Artists of the 90's list.
- Hootie & The Blowfish – It seemed every household in America had a copy of their "Cracked Rear View."
- Celine Dion – Another artist with multiple albums selling more than 10 million copies a-piece.
- Metallica – Their huge-selling self-titled "Black Album" combined with sales from the subsequent "Load" and "Reload," puts them on the 10 Best-Selling Artists of the 90's list.
Other top-selling artists included Nirvana, Santana, Britney Spears and Jewel.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …