10 Best Selling Bands Of All Time
These renowned rock artists have earned their places in the 10 best-selling bands of all time. It includes bands from all over the world, including many from England. Several of the bands are still together and touring. Here's the list:
- The Beatles (177 million units sold worldwide). From the humble beginnings of "Love Me Do," their first single, to the final album "Let it Be," The Beatles are one of the most beloved rock bands of all time. In addition to their top spot in the list of best-selling bands of all time, they have also had nineteen number one albums on the Billboard charts, the most of any artist.
- Led Zeppelin (111.5 million units sold worldwide). Another British artist, Led Zeppelin's 10 albums in their thirteen-year career propelled them to the number two best-selling band of all time. Despite the death of drummer John Bonham, the band reunited in 2007 with Bonham's son on drums.
- The Eagles (100 million units sold worldwide). This California quartet had six number one albums in the 70s before breaking up in 1980. Number three on the list of best-selling bands of all time, they reunited in 1994 for the Hell Freezes Over tour.
- Pink Floyd (74.5 million units sold worldwide). This British band has a long career, spanning from 1963 to 1994. In addition, founding member Roger Waters is still touring. This year, he'll be performing the band's classic album "The Wall."
- AC/DC (71 million units sold worldwide). This Australian band, formed in 1973, is one of the few on the list of the top-selling bands of all time who is still together. They shot to stardom in the U.S. with their 1978 album "Highway to Hell." Their most recent album, "Black Ice" was released in 2008.
- Aerosmith (66.5 million units sold worldwide). Another band on the list of top-selling bands of all time who is still together, Aerosmith was formed in Boston in 1970. They have released fourteen albums, most recently in 2004. In 2010, the band embarked on a world tour.
- The Rolling Stones (66 million units sold worldwide). Another British rock band, the Rolling Stones formed in 1962. In addition to classic albums like "Exile on Main Street," the band has released several concert videos. One of these, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones," was rereleased in theaters in 2010.
- Metallica (60 million units sold worldwide). Formed in 1981, Metallica is the only heavy metal group on the list of best-selling bands of all time. Their biggest success, 1990's "The Black Album," debuted at number one on the Billboard charts. This month, the band will be releasing a live EP called "Life at Grimey's."
- Van Halen (56.5 million units sold worldwide). The second California band on the list of best-selling bands, Van Halen formed in 1972. Their first album, self-titled, launched them into U.S. stardom. The band has a worldwide tour planned for 2011.
- U2 (50 million units sold worldwide). The only Irish band on the list, U2 was formed in 1976. They received international acclaim for their 1987 album "The Joshua Tree." Their twelfth album, "No Line on the Horizon," was released in 2009, followed by a worldwide tour.
Posted on: Nov. 17, 2010