With country music beginning to increase in popularity, many people find themselves interested in the history and wonder what were the 10 best-selling country albums of the '70s. The artists from country music’s history played a role in shaping the way the industry is today and their influence will be felt for many years to come.
- "Hello, Darlin’" by Conway Twitty. Between his hit song "Hello, Darlin’" and his duets with Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty easily had some of the best selling country albums of the '70s. "Hello, Darlin’" was lead to a Gold record award. His duets with Lynn resulted in not only a Grammy win, but three Gold record awards for 1971’s "We Only Make Believe", 1972’s "Lead Me On" and their 1979 album, "The Very Best of Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn".
- "My Woman, My Wife" by Marty Robbins. In 1970 Marty Robbins released a string of albums that gave him some of the best selling country albums of the '70s. The decade began with the Grammy award winning "My Woman, My Wife", and included thirteen additional albums up until 1979. His 1976 album, "El Paso City" gave Marty his first and only number one album.
- "Ol’ Waylon" by Waylon Jennings. 1977’s "Ol’ Waylon" became Waylon Jennings’s first platinum record and was one of the best selling country albums of the '70s. Beginning with 1975’s "Dreaming in my Dreams", Jennings released a string of albums that kept him at the top of the charts. His 1979 greatest hits album became his best seller, going 5X multi-platinum.
- "Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver. In 1972, John Denver released "Rocky Mountain High" and received his first Top Ten album. This was just the first of many albums Denver would release that landed him on the list of best selling country albums of the '70s.
- "Red-headed Stranger" by Willie Nelson. During the outlaw country movement, Willie Nelson rose to fame with his release "Red-headed Stranger". This album was almost not released, due to the label’s fear that an album with a guitar and piano accompaniment would not be successful, however it went on to become one of the best selling country albums of the '70s.
- "A Song for You" by The Carpenters. As the best selling American music act of the decade, it is no surprise The Carpenters are on a list of the best selling country albums of the '70s. Many fans believe that this 1972 album is the best recording the brother-sister duo ever released and the album has been ranked at #26 on a list of the top albums of the '70s.
- "An Evening with John Denver" by John Denver. Denver’s 1975 release "An Evening with John Denver" is actually an album of live music recorded at the Universal Amphitheatre during August and September of 1974. Not only did the album earn him another spot on the list of best selling country albums of the '70s, it also earned him an Emmy for Outstanding Special, Comedy-Variety or Music.
- "Back Home Again" by John Denver". In 1974, Denver released another of the best selling country albums of the '70s with "Back Home Again". The album contained one of his most well-known singles, "Thank God I’m a Country Boy". Some may feel that the '70s belonged to John Denver.
- "Behind Closed Doors" by Charlie Rich. Charlie Rich’s 1973 album "Behind Closed Doors" went gold after its release and is considered one of the best selling country albums of the '70s. In addition to its gold certification, Rich also went on to win three Country Music Association awards for the album, as well as the Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
- "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers. As one of the most successful artists of the '70s and 1980s, it is easy to see how Rogers is a part of the best selling country albums of the '70s. "The Gambler" has been re-released throughout the years, the most recent being in 2001. In addition to the album’s success, Rogers won the Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance for the title track.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.