10 Best Selling Female Artist Of All Time
While today's music industry is experiencing record breaking single sales, the list of the ten best selling female artist of all time is still dominated by many timeless singers of the past thirty and even forty or fifty years. These women have secured their legacy in music history, and it will be quite some time before they are knocked off of this list because their classic music is still selling and will continue to do so.
- Madonna - A household name since the 1980's, Madonna remains the number one best selling female of all time. Additionally, she is the third best selling single artist of all time, falling behind Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. Madge is still making music and her estimated 300 million in record sales is only likely to grow.
- Celine Dion - With over 200 million albums sold, the Canadian born pop singer trails close behind Madonna. Originally a French Singer, she has been releasing albums since 1981. Her first English album, "Unison," was released in 1990.
- Mariah Carey - Mariah, also having sold over 200 million albums, is a very close third in the race of best selling female artists. The first American on the list, she was the first artist whose first five singles rose straight to the top 100 on US Billboard's Hot 100 list.
- Nana Mouskouri - With over 200 million in album sales, this Greek singer has been making music longer than anyone else on the best selling female artist list. Beginning her career in 1958, she gained worldwide recognition and has recorded songs in five languages: Greek, English, Spanish, French and German.
- Barbra Streisand - This American songstress has sold more than 140 million albums in the five decades that she has been performing. An adult contemporary singer, Babs has won several Emmy and Grammy awards for her work.
- Britney Spears - Britney Spears burst onto the scene in 1998 at the tender age of 16. Since then, her music has taken the world by storm and reshaped the world of pop. The controversial singer has six albums under her belt and has sold more than 100 million albums. At the age of 29, she continues to produce hit music and best selling albums.
- Cher - In a career that spans more than 45 years, this iconic singer has sold more than 100 million albums. Although she is retired from touring, the 64 year old still performs in Las Vegas. She is also the only female artist to appear on the US Billboard Hot 100 list four decades in a row.
- Dolly Parton - The Queen of Country Music, Dolly Parton has sold more than 100 million albums. At age 64, she has 25 number one singles under her belt and still continues to produce music.
- Janet Jackson - The youngest sister to the number two best selling artist of all time, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson lands at number nine on the best selling female artist list. Since 1982, she has earned success by selling over 100 million albums worldwide.
- Olivia Newton-John - The English born, Australian reared singer has attained unceasing fame with her legendary role as Sandy Olsson in the 1978 film "Grease." Since her career debut in 1964, she has sold more than 100 million albums around the world. She is still releasing albums and her most recent studio album, "Grace and Gratitude Renewed," was released this past year in 2010.