The 10 best selling rap artists of the '90s includes a hip hop explosion, gangster rap, including forming extreme evolution to music expression. The 1980s may have introduced a new wave of hip hop, but during the '90s it was time for a change.
We begin with the most noted and work our way to the most "noted" on this list of the 10 best selling rap artists of the '90s.
- Public Enemy is known as the hip hop Long Island Hall of Fame rappers delivering a controversial message. Public Enemy's '90s albums include "Fear of a Black Planet" and "Welcome To The Terrodome". The album "Welcome To The Terrodome" also included the hit track "Welcome To The Terrodome" and "Fight The Power". "Apocalypse '91…The Enemy Strikes Back," "Greatest Misses," "Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess Age," "He Got Game," and "There's A Poison Going On" are other 1990 Public Enemy album releases.
- Wu-Tang Clan, a hard core hip hop rap group consisting of Method Man, RZA, GZA, Raekwon, Ol' Dirty Bastard, U-God, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa, and Ghostface Killa, released "Enter The Wu-Tang 36 Chambers." Noted as one of the greatest hip hop rap albums of all time, the groups success reached a point where the members had multiple opportunities to go solo, and did.
Dr. Dre, otherwise known as Andre Romelle Young, first top rap album was"The Chronic". The single "Let Me Ride" won a Grammy as Dre didn't hold back the '90s gangster rap chemistry. Soon after came "Dr. Dre Presents The Aftermath," an album introducing his album label Aftermath Entertainment. Dre is an American producer, record executive, actor and rapper that is most noted as being one of the best selling rap artists of the '90s.
Snoop Dogg, otherwise known as Cordozar Calvin Broadus, was Dr. Dre's next best discovery. In '93 Snoop Dogg unleashed the album "Doggy Style" with tracks such as "Gin & Juice" and "What's My Name." The album went quadruple platinum. Following his 1993 success came "The Doggfather", another worthy release.
- Notorious B.I.G., otherwise known as Biggie Smalls and Christopher Wallace (birth name), came out with "Ready To Die" in 1994, placing East Coast rap back into the spotlight. The album was certified four times platinum. Other hits include "Juicy," "What's The 411" and featured on "Get Money" to name a few. Notorious B.I.G. was shot and died in 1997, but his hits still sell to this day.
- 2Pac, otherwise known as Tupac Shakur or Makaveli, was a short lived poet and rapper with a lifetime following. 2Pac's release"Thug Life: Volume 1" went gold in 1994. "All Eyez On Me" sold nine million copies. 2Pac was hitting the gangster rap world with a West Coast vengeance. until he was shot leading to his death in 1996. However, sales soared and the spirit of 2Pac came attached with multiple zeros.
- LL Cool J, otherwise known as James Todd Smith, took rap casually in the '80s but once "Momma Said Knock You Out" was released during the '90s, LL Cool J briefly knocked out the competition. The album sold almost three million copies. Also included in LL Cool J's '90s releases were "Phenomenon," "Mr. Smith," and "14 Shots To The Dome,"
- Salt-N-Pepa, the female hip hop rap duo that knew how to push it, came out with a force, enough to sell fifteen million albums and singles. During the 1993 release "Very Necessary," Salt-N-Pepa shook sexual awareness in "Shoop" and "Whatta Man," Both songs were their most popular hits outside of "Push It" during their entire career.
- Cypress Hill, first West Coast American Latino hip hop rap group known to have scored platinum and multi-platinum albums. Their certified gold 1996 release "Unreleased and Revamped" included hit tracks such as "Boom Diddy Bye Bye" and "Hits From The Bong."
- Jay-Z, otherwise known as Shawn Corey Carter, released "Reasonable Doubt" in 1996 marking his first taste of success. "In My Lifetime: Volume 1" also raked in multiple sales reaching U.S. Platinum. As of 2009, as many know, his net worth stood at $150 million.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
16 Fall Style Classics Every Man Should Own
Give layering season an upgrade with these updated standards.