Although the rap world continues to grow, the 10 best-selling rappers of all time tend to remain consistently high on the charts each year. And, tragically, two of them were murdered in the prime of their careers. They have both been included hein this list to show their earnings after the deaths, as well as a means in which to pay tribute to them.
- Jay-Z (Shawn Carter) At $35 million in earnings from 2008 to 2009, Jay-Z is currently considered the best-selling rapper. He beat out 50 Cent, whose position is listed later in this article.
- P. Diddy (Sean Combs) How much of that $30 million has been spent on name changes alone? Is he finished, yet? His names may change, but his talent is as good as it ever was.
- Kanye West Unfortunately, his $25 million is not what may come to mind when his name is mentioned. Rather, his embarrassing performance at the VMAs when he snatched the mic from Taylor Swift is what people will most likely remember.
- Akon (Aliaune Thiam) With earnings of $20 million in 2008 to 2009, he was tied with 50 Cent, who was bumped from first place by Jay-Z. Oh, well. There’s always next year.
- Eminem (Marshall Mathers) You can’t help but wonder if this rapper would have earned $14 million at any time if he had kept his real name. It's is a very clever play on his initials, however.
- Dr. Dre (Andre Young) Dr. Dre made $13 million in 2008 to 2009. That’s probably more than a lot of physicians make in a lifetime, but that’s just one way the music business and the medical field differs.
- Snoop Dogg (Calvin Broadus) Part of this best-selling rapper’s 2008 to 2009 $11 million earnings may have come from one of his hilarious guest appearances on “Mad TV.” It was not unusual for him to crack up the regular “Mad TV” stars with his dead-on performances.
- Ludacris (Christopher Bridges) Ludacris is another one of the best-selling rappers who may have earned some of his $10 million in acting roles. He has appeared in “Law and Order” episodes, as well as other guest star slots.
- Tupac (Tupac Shakur) Tupac was murdered in September 1996. In 2002, six years after his death, his album, “Bettery Dayz,” was released, which made $7 million.
- Notorious B.I.G. (Christopher George Latore Wallace) A posthumous album released fifteen days after his March 1997 death reached diamond status (at least 10,000,000 units sold). He was named “Greatest Rapper of All Time” in 2001.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.