Each year Rolling Stone publishes a list of the top 100 best selling music albums of the past year, which helps to uncover the 10 best selling rock albums of all time. However, many of our all time favorite rock albums don't make the list because they have been around longer than just the last year. To be fair to the older bands and singers, Rolling Stone also lets music fans know the top selling albums of all time. Narrowing the list and excluding rap, pop, jazz, and other genres gives you the ten best selling rock albums of all time. Did your favorite make the list?
- "Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" With sales of 29 million, this album tops the list of best selling rock albums of all time. It beat Michael Jackson's "Thriller" for the top spot on the best selling albums of all time and it is the number-one best selling rock album of all time.
- Led Zepplin "IV" and Pink Floyd "The Wall" Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd both come in at sales of million albums.
- AC/DC "Back in Black" Front man Brian Johnson took sales of "Back in Black" to 22 million albums after the death of the original AC/DC frontman Bon Scott, making the top rock album countodown at number three,
The Beatles "The Beatles" The original rockers come in at $5 with sales of 19 million for their self-titled best selling rock album.
Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" Also with 19 million, Stevie Nicks is the first female on the countdown.
Led Zepplin "Physical Graffiti" You almost can't have a rock album countdown and not see legends Led Zepplin more than once. "Physical Graffiti" boasts sales of sixteen million albums.
The Beatles "1969-1970" Sales of sixteen million place The Beatles in the countdown again.
Eagles "Hotel California" With sales of sixteen million the 1970s, The Eagles again crank out high sales for a rock group no one will soon forget.
Alanis Morissette "Jagged Little Pill" Coming in with sixteen million in sales is Alanis Morisette, the first modern rocker of the countdown and the first solo artist.
- Guns N' Roses "Appetite for Destruction", Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon", Santana "Supernatural" and The Beatles "1962-1966" all come in with fifteen million in sales.
- "Metallica" comes in at number seven with fourteen million in album sales on this self-titled offering.
- Steve Miller Band "Greatest Hits:1974-1978" makes the countdown with thirteen million in sales.
- Led Zepplin "II", The Beatles "Abbey Road", Pearl Jam's "Ten", "Hot Rocks" by the Rolling Stones, "Slippery When Wet" by Bon Jovi, and "Hysteria" Def Leopard all have twelve million in sales.
- Creed "Human Clay", The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band", Eagles "Greatest Hits Vol II", Kid Rock's "Devil Without a Cause", "Houses of the Holy" Led Zepplin, and Aerosmith's "Greatest Hits" These artists all finish off the countdown with eleven million in sales.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.