Can you name ten best-selling urban contemporary gospel artists for 2010? Urban contemporary gospel is sometimes called “black gospel.” The gospel sub-genre does two things: it expresses a belief in God and Christ; and it offers a Christian alternative to mainstream secular music. Audiences of urban contemporary gospel are attracted to the music’s rhythm, groove, and urban contemporary sound. Most of the songs have a praise or worship theme. Here are ten best-selling artists of urban contemporary gospel music.
- Canton Jones. With his extraordinary worship leader skills and talents, rising star Canton Jones creates urban contemporary gospel and Christian hip-hop for the masses. According to a major online retailer, his 2007 “Kingdom Business” CD remains a top seller for 2010.
- TobyMac. Toby McKeehan, better known as TobyMac, is a 2010 Dove Award winner and one of the best-known Christian musicians today. His new “Tonight” CD contains the hit single, “City on our Knees.” One of the first Christian rappers and a former member of DC Talk, TobyMac’s music combines rock, pop, urban, and hip-hop.
- Travis Greene. A relative newcomer, Travis Greene, is another best-selling urban gospel artist for 2010. His new “Stretching Out” CD is one of the biggest sellers of the year. Greene’s praise and worship songs come alive with a fresh, new sound that audiences find refreshing.
Mandisa. Mandisa Lynn Hundley, known professionally as Mandisa, is a gospel singer and “American Idol” alumni. Her 2009 “Freedom” album contains a mix of urban pop, R&B, and contemporary gospel. The album features the radio hit, “My Deliverer."
- Marvin Sapp. A former member of the gospel group, Commissioned, Marvin Sapp is an urban gospel singer and pastor. According to one music review, his 2010 “Here I Am” CD is “a fresh infusion of high-powered gospel, R&B, and urban contemporary worship.”
- Trin-i-tee 5:7. Trin-i-tee 5:7, a New Orleans trio, is one of the top female vocal groups of urban contemporary gospel. They offer a Christian alternative to R&B girl groups like Destiny’s Child and TLC. Their soulful harmonies enrich the urban contemporary gospel landscape. “T57,” their 2007 release, is a top-selling album for 2010.
- GO2. The young, progressive singing duo called GO2 mixes rap with singing in a unique way that appeals to urban youth, without compromising the Christian message. Their 2009 “Push” CD mixes contemporary gospel with R&B and hip-hop.
- Damita. Damita Haddon, known professionally as Damita, is a best-selling female urban gospel singer for 2010. Her 2008 debut release, “No Looking Back,” remains a top seller this year. Her powerhouse vocals combine urban contemporary, R&B, and gospel for an extraordinary worship experience.
- Papa San. Tyrone Thompson, better known as Papa San, is also one of the year’s top-selling black gospel artists. His 2009 “Higher Heights” CD is considered his best album yet. Collaborating with artists like Toby Mac and Canton Jones, the Jamaican Christian reggae singer dedicates his lyrics to the glory of God.
- Carlene Davis. Carlene Davis is a 2010 best-seller with “The Best of Glory.” The 2009 CD focuses on her conversion to Christianity and features some of her favorite songs. Mixing traditional and urban sounds with reggae flavor, the album is considered a “must-have” for fans of Caribbean gospel music.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!