Who are the 10 best-selling female pop singers of all time? The answer is not hard to guess. The women represented here are some of the world's best-selling music artists in history. We’ve listed them in alphabetical order, since various ranking data differs. See if the names on your list match ours.
- Madonna Ciccone (Madonna). Madonna Ciccone, known professionally as Madonna, is an American musician and worldwide “Queen of Pop.” She is known as the world’s top-selling female recording artist of all time. Madonna, 52, made her debut in 1983, and she's had a series of number-one hits throughout her career. “Like A Virgin,” “Papa Don’t Preach,” and “Vogue” are just a few.
- Celine Dion. Celine Dion, 42, is a Canadian singer-songwriter known for her powerful vocals. Her career breakthrough came in the early 1990s, with hit songs like “Where Does My Heart Beat Now?” and “The Power of Love.” She is also one of the top-selling female artists of all time.
- Whitney Houston. Whitney Houston, 47, is an American R&B singer and pop icon. Not only is she a best-selling female vocalist, she is one of the world’s best-selling music artists ever. Her breakthrough came with her hit 1985 debut album. Her 1994 cover of Dolly Parton’s 1970s song “I Will Always Love You” is one of the best-selling singles in music history.
- Janet Jackson. Janet Jackson, 44, is another American pop star. She is the youngest child in the musically-talented Jackson family. Her first album debuted in 1982, when she was 16. Her early music incorporated R&B, disco, funk, and rap, providing wide crossover appeal in pop music. Jackson ranks among the best-selling artists in the history of contemporary music.
- Cyndi Lauper. Cyndi Lauper, 57, is an American singer-songwriter known for her New York accent, wild hair, and offbeat fashions. She was the first female vocalist to release four top-five singles from one album–the 1983 hit, “She’s So Unusual." Lauper is an outspoken supporter of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) rights.
- Olivia Newton-John. Olivia Newton-John is another best-selling female pop singer. The English-born, Australia-reared singer, 62, is a multiple Grammy Award winner with at least ten singles on the Billboard Top 100 list. She starred in the 1978 musical, “Grease.” A breast cancer survivor, Newton-John advocates for health awareness, as well as for environmental issues and animal rights.
- Diana Ross. Diana Ross, 66, is an American singer who helped shape the Motown sound as the lead vocalist for The Supremes in the 1960s. Ross is one of the most successful music artists in history, with nearly 20 number-one singles. She is also an icon in popular culture.
- Cherilyn Sarkisian (Cher). Cherilyn Sarkisian, best known as Cher, is an American pop singer-songwriter. She began her career as part of the Sonny and Cher duo, with their 1965 hit, “You Babe.” Her 1999 dance song, “Believe,” is her biggest-selling single. Cher is known as a fashion trendsetter and was a sex symbol in the 1970s. The gay community consiers her an icon and, like Lauper, she is an outspoken supporter of LGBT rights.
- Britney Spears. Britney Spears, 28, is a popular American recording artist and entertainer. With “Baby, One More Time,” and “Oops, I Did It Again,” Spears is credited with reviving teenage pop music in the late 1990s. The “pop princess” is one of the top-selling female vocalists ever, and she is a powerful influence in the music industry. Spears has been associated with a variety of personal struggles in the past decade.
- Tina Turner. Tina Turner, 70, is an American music legend with a career spanning more than five decades. Considered the most successful female rock artist, she sings rock, pop, pop rock, and soul. Her powerful vocals, energy, career longevity, and wide appeal make Turner one of the greatest singers of all time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.