10 Best Singers Of 2008
How to best define the 10 best singers of 2008 is up for debate; this list is a combination of commercial and critical success, revealing the 10 best singers of 2008 as breakout stars whose songs defined the year for many. Some were veterans of the music biz when 2008 rolled around, and others were new to the game. But all of the 10 best singers of 2008 had plenty of success by the year's end, ending up on Billboard and iTunes top-seller lists and critics' year-end best-of lists.
- Chris Martin of Coldplay. Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" album topped the iTunes charts, with Chris Martin's Thom Yorke-influenced vocals soaring into the ears of millions of listeners. While critical reception of the album was divided, Martin's impact on the musical landscape easily places him atop the list of 10 best singers of 2008.
- Robyn. One of the biggest pop stars in Sweden had her self-titled 2005 album finally released stateside in 2008. Her unique approach to pop music had already had an impact around the world, but this was the year she finally conquered the critics of the United States.
- Nick Cave. The gothic rock superstar released another great album, making him the most veteran performer out of the 10 best singers of 2008.
- Rihanna. Rihanna finally became a star in 2008, her uniquely robotic voice lending appeal to one of the year's most-listened-to songs, "Disturbia."
- Sam Phillips. This California-born singer-songwriter had one of the most critically lauded albums of 2008.
- Jack Johnson. A top-selling album helped make the laid-back songwriter one of the 10 best singers of 2008.
- Antony Hegarty. As the principal vocalist on the cutting-edge disco-dance release by Hercules and Love Affair, the leader of the Johnsons secured a spot with his unique pipes on the list of 10 best singers of 2008.
- Leona Lewis. Selling more than three million digital copies of her single "Bleeding Love" according to her label, J Records, Leona Lewis found a place on the list.
- Bradford Cox. The leader of Deerhunter and Atlas Sound released some of the most compelling material of the year.
- Katy Perry. Rounding out the 10 best singers of 2008 is someone who kissed a girl, and liked it.