10 Best Sites For Rock Climbing in the US
If you crave adventure, then you need to check out the 10 best sites for rock climbing in the US. Not all rock climbing sites are the same.
- Central Alaska Range. Although the weather can be vicious, the adventure meter for the Central Alaska Range is off the scales. Expert climbers from all over the world travel to this location to climb the steepest and rockiest peaks. Located in Denali National Park,near Anchorage, Alaska, you will not regret this trip to one of the best sites for rock climbing in the US.
- Desert Towers. These sandstone towers located in southeastern Utah, approximately four hours from Salt Lake City. The Desert Towers makes the list on the best sites for rock climbing in the US because sandstone is soft and can be hazardous to your health if you don't know what you are doing. Even expert rock climbers will view the Desert Towers as an intense challenge.
- Yosemite Rock. One of the best sites for rock climbing in the US, these California rocks will be challenging because instead of handholds, you will have to stick your hands and feet into cracks along the wall. You will need excellent balance and a fearless attitude to succeed at these California rocks. Yosemite Rock is a four-hour drive from the San Francisco International Airport.
- South Lake Tahoe. This California destination offers rock climbing for adventure seekers of all levels. The reason this is not number one on the list of the best sites for rock climbing in the US is because of the documented boulder problems in this area. Although this thrills adventurers, it can also give you more danger than you are prepared to handle. South Lake Tahoe is located an hour and a half from the Reno/Tahoe Airport.
- Red Rocks. Another one of the best sites for rock climbing in the US, the steep walls of the Red Rocks will have you grasping for something to hold on to. The Red Rocks are unique because of their varnished edges, splitter cracks, and incut jugs. Located just west of Las Vegas, these rocks hide all the sights and sounds of the city which gives you an authentic experience.
- Zion Canyon. If you are looking for beauty, then the Zion Canyon is the best site in the US for rock climbing as far as that is concerned. There are over 1,000 vertical walls that will challenge and inspire you. If you drive from Salt Lake City Airport, you will reach the Zion Canyon in about four to five hours.
- Tuolumne Meadows. Another one of the best sites for rock climbing in the US, Tuolumne Meadows is located only one hour away from Yosemite Valley. Although it is close in distance to Yosemite Valley, the Tuolumne Meadows are much different. They are nearly a mile higher in elevation and has huge golden domes, making your rock climbing adventure seem more like a treasure hunt.
- Nor Cal Boulders. These rocks are not your usual earth tones. Picture climbing blue or green rocks and seeing firsthand the most beautiful scenery in the world. The bizarre colors and gorgeous scenery is what makes this site one of the best rock climbing places in the US. Nor Cal Boulders is near Columbia College.
- Yosemite Big Walls. Perfect weather and solid walls makes this one of the best sites for rock climbing. More than 100 climbing accidents occur in this area, so make sure you have experience climbing before attempting to climb the big walls of Yosemite. The Yosemite Big Walls are located in the Yosemite National Park.
- High Sierra. Rugged peaks and glaciers makes this climb memorable and one of the best rock climbing sites in the US. Climbers will be amazed at the streams and meadows at the High Sierra. The only negative aspect of this climb is how popular and crowded it is during the summer. If you go (which you should,) go during the winter months when it will be less crowded. The High Sierra is easily accessible through the tiny town of Lone Pine, California or you can drive three hours from the Reno/Tahoe Airport.
Posted on: May. 16, 2010