The top 10 best soccer leagues in the world offer lovers of the sport an opportunity to see firsthand the world's best players in the best possible environment. Though largely centered in Europe, the rest of the world offers leagues and clubs that can also compete at the international level. Whether planning a trip, reaching for the remote or planning where you want to one day play the game, this list demands consideration.
- Spanish Primera Division. La Liga takes the crown for top soccer league due to its flowing style of play, huge wads of cash spent on player acquisition (arguably the world's top three players in Lionel Messi, Kaka and Christiano Ronaldo), and quality that is more evenly distributed between the league's 20 teams than any other competitor.
- English Premier League. A quick, physical style of play makes the EPL a pleasure to watch. Drop off in skill between the top and bottom half of the table keep the EPL from the top spot.
- Italian Serie A. Traditional powerhouses Inter Milan, AC Milan and Roma keep the Serie A near the top of the pack. Absolutely rabid fans keep the league from being placed higher.
- French Ligue 1. The French have been competitive in Europe and have supplanted the traditional top four Bundesliga for now. The performances of Lyon and Bordeaux in the Champions League demonstrate that Ligue 1 is enjoying a renaissance.
- German Bundesliga. The German top flight, though not having the impact that they've had in Europe in years past, still boasts one of the best managed leagues in the world. FC Bayern Munich has ruled the history of this league with over 20 titles.
- Dutch Eredivisie. The top league in the Netherlands has lost a bit of its sheen from past years but still competes at a high level. Club squads periodically form a feeder pool for the wealthier leagues in Europe. AFC Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven are top title holders.
- Russian Premier League. Sixteen teams fight for three Champions League spots. Others may list this league in a higher position but it takes seventh here as it is often so cold in Russia that it is hard to imagine anyone attending a match.
- Brazilian Brasileiro. Though financially not a huge contender, the Brasileiro wins a spot purely on player ability. Hungry leagues from around the world regularly scout this league for talent to purchase. Storied clubs include Internacional, the only club to ever go undefeated in league history.
- Argentine Primera Division. Similar to the Brasileiro, the league is loaded with huge talent that is routinely whisked away to Europe. The Primera Division boasts more wins in the Copa Libertadores, the most important club competition in South America, than any other league in that region.
- Mexican Primera Division. North America's top league is a bright spot in a mostly ho-hum confederation of leagues. Clubs are slowly beginning to impose themselves at the international level.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!