Thanks to stellar years for acts like Lady Gaga, Jay-Z and Taylor Swift, there was no shortage of great songs in 2009, making a 10 best song lyrics of 2009 list a hard task to execute. From silly to serious to downright ludicrous, the best song lyrics of 2009 were all over the place.
- “You Belong With Me.” Call it juvenile (it is) and easy (it is), but the lyrics to Taylor Swift’s megahit (like "she wears high heels, I wear sneakers, she’s cheer captain and I’m on the bleachers" ) captures the feeling of high school romance and broken hearts perfectly and manages to do so without coming off as calculated or vomit-inducing. These are the words of a real teenager, albeit a massively successful millionaire teenager who earned that success writing some of the best song lyrics of 2009.
- “LoveGame.” Lady Gaga proved her talent (and weirdness) with songs like 2009's “Love Game.” She’s not like the rest of us. The woman who shows up to awards shows in weird futuristic-fetish outfits doesn’t just have sex. She takes a ride "on a disco stick". Sick, but one of the best song lyrics of 2009.
- “You Found Me.” A pop song about somebody being there for someone else is nothing new, but The Fray’s opening line “I found God on the corner of First and Amistad” opens the song with a personal line and made the rest of it feel that much more authentic.
- “Gives You Hell.” The All-American Rejects dropped pop-punk and hopped back onto to the charts with this triumphant kiss-off of a song to an ex. Vocalist Tyson Ritter hopes that when she sees his face (plastered on billboards and television screens) it gives her hell. The popularity of this song must have made it sting even more.
- “Party in the U.S.A.” This song has lyrics so beyond subtle and cool that they had to be some of the best lyrics of 2009. Miley sure had a party in 2009, topping the charts and continuing her reign as teen queen. It’s her party and she’ll make us cry if she wants to, nodding her head “like yeah!” and moving her hips “like yeah!”
- “Waking Up In Vegas.” This is almost like a novelty song, its lyrics really only referencing Vegas cliches and not talking much about love or any of that junk. Katy Perry simply tells her audience/lover to “Shut up and put your money where your mouth is.” A fun song with funny lyrics; you can't go wrong.
- “Down.” Jay Sean said so much with just one word in this 2009 song. This song went anywhere but down, down, down on the charts. Mega rapstar Lil Wayne chimes in on the bridge, saying he is “down like the economy,” a poignant line during the recession and one of the best song lyrics of 2009.“
- "My Life Would Suck Without You.” For an American Idol winner, Kelly Clarkson really isn’t afraid to come out and say what’s on her mind. Following the straightforward approach she laid down in “Since U Been Gone,” this song does anything but beat around the bush. This time, however, she’s expressing love.
- “Run This Town.” Jay-Z and Co. (Rihanna and Kanye West) were only speaking the truth when they released this single, containing some of the best lyrics of 2009. These three artists really did run this town and every town in America. As the song says, “This is Rock nation, pledge your allegiance.
- ”I Told You So.” Who hasn’t said something they didn’t mean to say to a lover and wish they could win them back? Carrie Underwood spoke for every regretful girl and boy in this song, containing some of the best song lyrics of 2009. There’s no second chances in country!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”