If you want to take a look at the debut of some of the best pop and rock singers and groups, look back to the ten best songs of 1997. A lot of acts that are still known and renowned today got their start in this great year for music. There were some great, solid singers who got music listeners excited that year, and there were also some fun, feel-good hits, too.
- "The Freshmen" by Verve Pipe is deep, brooding song. It's lyrics tell a morose, stark story of a man who blames himself for the suicide of a girl he mistreated. It's got a great sound and stand-out lyrics.
- "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind is a euphoric, fun song. It tells the story of an exuberant life and living it to its fullest.
- "I Want You" by Savage Garden was the first song of many to come from this two-man group. It's also known as the "chick of cherry cola" song, due to a memorable line in the lyrics.
"MMMBop" by Hanson is the runaway hit that made the three a hero to pre-teens everywhere. The brothers that made up the group continued to have a career, but none of their songs are as memorable as their debut hit.
- "You Were Meant for Me" by Jewel is also the song that introduced the singer/songwriter from Alaska to the world. She sings this song form the heart, with its matter-of-fact lyrics that speak of everyday life and a rare love.
- "You Must Love Me" by Madonna is a strong, simple ballad. From the soundtrack to "Evita," Madonna had a hit in 1997 with this beautiful, although haunting, song.
- Elton John's new version of "Candle in the Wind" for Princess Diana was a hit. 1997 was the year that saw the passing of "the people's princess," and this touching tribute by a dear friend helped immortalize her.
- "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls was a runaway hit. The Spice Girls sprang onto the music scene in 1997, and they made their way into the conversations of many age groups. Perhaps none were as affected as young girls, who each had their favorite Spice Girl.
- "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" by Paula Cole is beautiful, tongue-in-cheek and fun all at once. It's a song about a woman's wondering where all the good men have gone, placed in the metaphor of the myth of westerns and cowboys.
- "Barbie Girl" by Aqua is a free-spirited hit. As one of the most memorable and comedic songs of 1997, it's still remembered around the world. The song is both a send-up, and a tribute-and it's all in fun.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.