When making a list of the 10 best songs about addiction, songs with powerful lyrics need to be chosen. Addiction is a psychological dependence on things such as drugs, sex, alcohol, food, gambling, porn and shopping. Addiction is a tough thing to deal with. Many of these songs about addition are written by the artist themselves who actually struggle with their own addictions.
- “Every Breath You Take” by The Police. “Every smile you fake, every claim you stake, I’ll be watching you.” Addiction is not just about drugs or alcohol. As this song implies, it details a man that is addicted to another person. It is a sort of a stalker story. The song is on The Police’s 1983 album titled “Synchronicity.”
- “Cocaine” by Eric Clapton. This is one of the best songs about addiction because the title itself depicts addiction. “When your day is done and you wanna run; cocaine.” The song is from the 1976 album titled “Slowhand” by Eric Clapton. In later years, Eric Clapton has added “that dirty cocaine” to the lyrics that he used in live shows to make the song an anti-drug song.
- “Hotel California” by The Eagles. There are a few ways to interpret this song. "Hotel California" could be a real rehab center or it could be a metaphor for going through addiction withdrawals. “Last thing I remember, I was running for the door.” The song appears on the 1977 album “Hotel California” by The Eagles.
- "Truckin'" by The Grateful Dead. This is the best song about addiction. It comes from the 1970 album, “American Beauty,” by The Grateful Dead. “Livin on reds, Vitamin C and cocaine. All a friend can say is ain't it a shame?” The song has been recognized by the United States Library of Congress as a national treasure in 1997.
- "Because I Got High" by Afroman. Again the title says it all. The song is from Afroman’s “Because I Got High” in 2000. The song depicts how pot use degrades the narrator’s life. The singer explains how he failed a college class, missed court dates and gambled away his car payment money because he was high.
- "She Talks To Angels" by The Black Crowes. The song title is from The Black Crowes 1990 album “Shake Your Money Maker.” It is one of the best songs about addiction because the song is about a girl who tries to hide the fact that she is addicted to drugs. The lyrics also suggest that she is either hallucinating because she talks to angels or she is on her way to heaven. “Yeah, she gives a smile when the pain comes, the pain's gonna make everything alright.”
- "Lithium" by Nirvana. “And I’m not scared. Light my candles. In a daze cause I’ve found god.” This song describes a mental breakdown from an addiction. Lithium is a medication given to help people with bipolar. The song is on the 1992 album “Nevermind” by Nirvana.
- "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. “Under the bridge downtown is where I drew some blood.” “Under the Bridge” is from Nirvana’s 1992 hit album “Blood Sugar Sex Magik.” The narrator realizes how much he has lost because of addiction but he also has feelings of hope.
- "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse. “Rehab” is one of the best songs about addiction. “Oh I don’t ever wanna drink again. I just ooh, I just need a friend.” The song is from Amy’s 2007 album “Back to Black.” The song describes the narrator’s drinking habits and refusal to go to rehab.
- "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix. “Purple haze all in my eyes, don’t know if its day or night.” The song appears on the 1967 album, “Are You Experienced?” by Jimi. Purple haze is another name for LSD.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…