Looking for the 10 best songs about being single? Studies have shown that widowers tend to remarry more quickly than widows because men enjoyed being married. Maybe that’s why many of the best songs about being single are sung by women. In any case, if you’re between spouses right now, maybe this list will cheer you up and help you embrace your single status..
- "I Will Survive" – Gloria Gaynor. This one needs no explanation, right? It’s the anthem of single people everywhere. Hit the road, Jack. And, there's no law that says a man can't relate to it. We might not sing it in public, though.
- "U + Ur Hand" – Pink. It’s just you and your hand tonight. It doesn't really need any elaboration. Not only does this song about being single celebrate that fact, this gal gives the guy total attitude as only Pink can do. Whoa.
- "Believe" – Cher. Cher not only believes in life after love, she thinks that maybe she’s too good for you in this song about being single. Later, dude. This disco homage was a super hit and really, you don’t have to be gay to love Cher.
- "What’s Love Got to Do With It?" – Tina Turner. Samantha Jones of "Sex and The City" said early on that she aspired to “have sex like a man,” meaning not getting emotionally involved. Apparently, Tina was in the same frame of mind when she recorded this song about being single. It’s just a physical thing and “you must try to ignore that it means more than that,” OK?
- "Single Ladies" – Beyonce. Here’s a tune for the commitment-phobes out there. In case you missed it, the video shows her happily dancing around letting you know that if you liked it, you should have put a ring on it. You didn’t so she’s gone.
- "Irreplaceable" – Beyonce. Anyone in the midst of dumping a cheating mate is probably humming this tune in their sleep. If you ever for a second think that you’re irreplaceable, you’re in for a mighty rude awakening. According to the lyrics, she can get another ‘you’ by tomorrow. That’s cold.
- "Since You’ve Been Gone" – Kelly Clarkson. This so-happy-I’m-single-now song proclaims that she “can breathe for the first time” since you’ve been gone. ‘Nuff said.
- "I Don’t Love You Anymore" – Teddy Pendergrass. Teddy sounds positively gleeful in this R&B hit as he’s telling his former lady how not in love he is with her. “I don't love you anymore! No! No! No! Not like before!”
- "Control" – Janet Jackson. Ms. Jackson was all grown up when this record became a hit and she was putting everyone on alert. The rumor was that the song was about her declaring her independence from the Jackson Family juggernaut. The lyrics stating that she’s no longer naively in love seem to indicate that she was taking control of more than a family situation.
- "Bye Bye Bye" – N’Sync. Well, the name says it all. The video’s snappy choreography and a beat that compelled you to get up and hit the dance floor would have made this song a hit no matter what. In no uncertain terms, this fab five wants to see you out that door so that each of them can move on and live a happily single life. Bye, bye, bye.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.