Stop crying and check out the 10 best songs about broken hearts. Heart break is a common theme in music. Whether it’s the loss of someone or the end of a relationship, these songs know all about heartache. So, grab some tissues.
- "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton (1992) The death of a child is more than heartbreaking. Clapton wrote this after his four-year-old son died from falling out of a 53rd-floor apartment. It spent three weeks at # 1 on the charts.
- "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss (2004) Country music is known for songs about broken hearts. This is one of the saddest songs in the history music. It tells the story of losing a loved one and depression.
- "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sine’ad O’Connor (1990) This song was originally written in the 1980s by Prince for the funk band The Family. The song was so heart felt that it became an instant hit and O’Connor is reported to have actually cried in the video.
- "Dammit" by Blink 182 (1997) This is the ultimate “she dumped me and I hate her” song. This was the second single of their album Dude Ranch. Another version of the song is on the "Can’t Hardly Wait" soundtrack.
- "Pictures of You" by The Cure (1989) This band has created many songs about heartbreak. This one is beautifully written and still very popular today. It has a very melancholy ending. There are two different versions and two different remixes to this song.
- "Father of Mine" by Everclear (1997) So maybe your heartbreak is from a sad childhood and not a girl. Lead singer Art Alexakis wrote this song about his father leaving when he was a young child. If you had an absent father, this song will make you want to punch him but if you had a dad that was there, then you’re going to be trying not to cry when this song makes you want to call him.
- "Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" by U2 (1991) If your heartbreak is caused by unrequited love, then this song is for you. Lead singer Bono’s voice is so full of misery during this song that it pulls at anyone’s heartstrings.
- "I Wanna be Adored" by the Stone Roses (1989) This is one of the more under-rated bands out there. The song isn’t about wishing for a certain girl but to be adored by anyone. The song has an almost desperate feel to it.
- "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones (1980) Jones is one of the best country artists of all time. This song is beautifully written. The lyrics and Jones’ voice make for a bone-chilling experience of heartache.
- "Cute Without the E" by Taking Back Sunday (2002) This is another song for the broken hearted due to a girl. This song is pretty bitter and basically tells the girl that her cheating has made the singer want to kill himself. One of the key lines of the song is: “And will you tell all your friends, you've got your gun to my head.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.