The 10 best songs about Canada offer a little patriotism and some humor as well. There are hundreds of songs that talk about Canada or mention Canada in some form. These are the 10 best songs about Canada, and when you sing them you will instantly start thinking about ice hockey and maple syrup.
- "Blame Canada" (1999). The song "Blame Canada" (1999) is an Oscar-nominated song that was included in the movie "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" (1999). It was written by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, who are also the movie's executive producers and writers. It is the only member of the list of 10 best songs about Canada to be nominated for an Academy Award.
- "O Canada" (1880). "O Canada" (1880) was originally written in French to be used by the province of Quebec for their St. Jean Baptiste Day celebration. The original music was written by Calixa Lavallee and the lyrics were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. It was translated into English in 1906 and became the unofficial Canadian national anthem in 1939. It was finally sanctioned as the official Canadian national anthem in 1980.
- "One Great City" (2003). The Weakerthans are a popular Canadian punk band, and they wrote the song "One Great City" (2003) about their home city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The song even goes so far as to mention the city's defunct NHL team the Winnipeg Jets. It is a great piece of Canadian music that should be in the list of the 10 best songs about Canada.
- "Land of the Silver Burch". It is not known exactly when this Canadian folk song was written, but there have been several recorded versions of it going as far back as the 1930's. It is an homage to the forests and wildlife in Canada, and it is a popular song for Canadian campers and scouts to sing when paddling down a river or camping.
- "I Will Never See the Sun" (2003). The Toronto-based band the Great Lakes Swimmers is known for their humorous lyrics and odes to Canada. "I Will Never See the Sun" (2003) is an entry on the list of the 10 best songs about Canada that rhymes some of the most famous streets in Toronto and discusses life in Canada's largest city.
- "Christmastime in Toronto" (2003). Gordon Downie the lead singer of the very popular Canadian band known as the Tragically Hip. He has three solo albums out, and "Christmastime in Toronto" (2003) is a description of Downie's Christmas memories in Toronto. It is an interesting song that should be considered one of the 10 best songs about Canada.
- "Green Grass of Toronto" (2007). The First Person Shooters is a rock band out of Canada that is known mostly for their energetic live shows. Their song "Green Grass of Toronto" (2007) is a high-energy song that talks about the cityscape features of Toronto. It is not always complimentary towards Toronto, but it is definitely one of the 10 best songs about Canada.
- "They All Call it Canada (But I Call it Home)" (1940). This ode to Canada was written by Freddy Grant during World War II as a patriotic song for the Canadian troops abroad to sing. At the time, Canada did not have an official national anthem and "They All Call it Canada (But I Call it Home)" (1940) was one of the patriotic songs Canadians were singing.
- "The Maple Leaf Forever" (1867). Shortly after Canada was confederated following the battle of Ridgeway, Alexander Muir wrote an ode to the new country entitled "The Maple Leaf Forever" (1867). For years it was used as the unofficial Canadian national anthem until "O Canada" (1880) began gaining in popularity in the early 1900's.
- "Girl In Saskatoon" (1959). Johnny Cash my have been an American, but he loved visiting with Canadian women. Early in his career he decided to put his feelings into a song and it has been a Canadian favorite ever since.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.