Songs are as varied as the people that hear them, and when it comes to the 10 best songs about childhood, they're no exception. From slow, tear-inspiring country songs to up-tempo, energetic grunge songs, there are as many songs about childhood as there are people that had one. This genre is so varied that nearly everyone can find a song they identify with and cry/laugh/yell right along with the singer.
- "Cat's in the Cradle" – Harry Chapin sings a song about a boy that grows up to be just like his father-hardworking and never home with his family. It's only after the adult son doesn't have time to visit his father, that his father realizes the mistake of his ways. This is one of the best songs about childhood because it makes you realize that sometimes being there for your children is better than buying them anything they want.
- "Father of Mine" – A song by Everclear about spending the first years of life with a father you idolize only to see that father leave while you're still young. One of the best songs about childhood because it's reality for a lot of people.
- "High School Never Ends" – One of the best songs about childhood because we all remember high school and trying to fit in, Bowling For Soup sings about our social life as adults being no different than when we were teenagers.
- "It'll Come Back" – Released in the mid-1970s, this country song by Red Sovine is about a girl who keeps killing the grass in her father's yard with various activities and each time, tells her father "It'll come back." This is one of the best songs about childhood because it shows how children can have such simple and logical approaches to situations.
- "Mary's Song" – Taylor Swift sings about a boy and girl growing up together, whose parents always joked that they would eventually end up together-and they did. One of the best songs about childhood because it's a song of puppy love growing into something more.
- "You'll Always Be My Baby" – Sara Evans sings about a girl that's always accepted by her parents and hopes to be the same way with her son. This is one of the best songs about childhood because it's nice to grow up with parents that love you no matter what.
- "The Walk" – This country song by Sawyer Brown was released in 1991 and stays true to the idea that country music often leaves you with a tear in your eye. The story of a son who is being guided down life's various roads by the comforting words of his father, this is one of the best songs about childhood because the idea of having someone to guide you through life appeals to us all.
- "Back When I Was Four" – Jeffrey Lewis, a singer/songwriter and comic book artist, sings a musically simple song packed with nearly spoken lyrics about memories during various years of life. One of the best songs about childhood because it's so unique to the category.
- "Watching Scotty Grow" – A story about a father who'd rather spend time with his son than anything in the world, this song performed by Bobby Goldsboro is one of the best songs about children because reminds us what joy children can bring to our lives.
- "Sliver" – Nirvana, the band that brought us "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Heart-Shaped Box", sings this song about a boy who doesn't want to go to his grandparents house and hates being there the whole time. One of the best songs about childhood because we usually don't hear of a kid not wanting to go to his grandparents' house.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …