The 10 best songs about dying have been written about friends, siblings, spouses and children. All of the best songs about dying pull at your heartstrings and can help express the pain of losing someone. All of the following songs have been written about personal experiences with someone dying or someone worrying about dying.
- "Tears in Heaven" Eric Clapton Clapton wrote the lyrics about his four-year-old son, who died when he fell out of a 53rd floor window at an apartment. This is one of the best songs about dying because the lyrics are so general it can pull emotions out of anyone who has lost someone. This song is frequently used during funerals.
- "Candle in the Wind" Elton John Released in 1973, the song is a tribute to Marilyn Monroe who died of a drug overdose in 1962. The candle in the wind represents a short, but eventful life. A good song about dying because the lyrics can relate to any famous person that has passes away too young and how even after death the press don't stop hounding.
- "I'll Be Missing You" Puff Daddy ft. Faith Evans The lyrics are a tribute to Notorious B.I.G., a rapper and friend of P. Diddy who was shot to death while the two were together. Biggie's wife is also featured singing the chorus on the song. One of the best songs about dying because it expresses how much someone is missed once he/she passes.
- "Knocking On Heaven's Door" Bob Dylan This is one of the best songs about dying because the original 1973 song by Bob Dylan gained success and so did covers. Guns N' Roses covered the song in 1991 and played it in concert as a tribute to Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, who died of AIDS.
- "One Sweet Day" Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men This song about dying is a duet about wanting to be with a loved one after he/she has passed away. Mariah was inspired by the death of David Cole and Boyz II Men wrote their part about the death of their manager who was gunned down while on tour.
- "My Heart Will Go On" Celine Dion Written for the movie "Titanic," the song is about losing someone you love, but even though your loved one is no longe around, the feelings you feel for him/her does not go away. This song about dying won a 1998 Oscar for Best Song From a Film and four Grammy awards.
- "Where Angels Hang Around" James Otto The song is about a child who was diagnosed with cancer. They tried to put themselves in the position of being a father and what he was going through. One of the best songs about dying if you have ever lost a child too soon in life.
- "What Sarah Said" Death Cab For Cutie Inspired by lead vocalist Gibbard's friend who one day started crying to her husband because she realized one of them would die. In the song, the narrator is dying and his wife sticks by his side. This is a good song about dying if you have lost a significant other.
- "Frontier City" Kings of Leon Released in 2008 as a bonus track on the album "Only by the Night," this song is about death coming to get you no matter what. This is one of the best songs about dying because death is something that no one will be able to escape and everyone can relate to the lyrics.
- "Ocean Breathes Salty" Modest Mouse Released in 2004, this song about dying references the afterlife in the line, "And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again." The song also has lyrics about how the singer feels someone has wasted their life away: "You wasted life. Why wouldn't you waste death?"
No one looks forward to kicking the bucket, but hey, if you've got to go, go out like a man. Life is finite and should b ...
Being a dead rock star is such a cliché, you’d think they’d stop doing it already. But it's still the best way to secure ...
To some people, being extreme is relaxing. Or maybe it just makes them feel alive-close brushes with death will do that ...