During the holiday season, or any time you want to reflect on the importance on family, check out the 10 best songs about family love. They're sure to warm your heart and help you better appreciate the people who share your life.
- “Teach Your Children Well” by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. One of the best songs about family love, “Teach Your Children Well” explores the important job of raising children with love and guidance in order to “make a world that we can live in.”
- “We Are Family” by Sister Sledge. “We Are Family” is a classic song that celebrates how powerful the familial bond can be. It's not only one of the best songs about family love; it's also one of the best-known. Sister Sledge sings proudly, “Just let me state for the record: we're giving love in a family dose.”
- “Father and Son” by Cat Stevens. In this song, Cat Stevens expresses the complicated dynamics between father and son. Their mutual love is strong, but so are the generational differences. Every parent can relate to the lyrics, “You're still young… there's so much you have to go through.”
- “In the Living Years” by Mike and the Mechanics. “In the Living Years” is a poignant song of a son's regret for not having expressed his love to his now-dead father. Mike and the Mechanics sing, “It's too late when we die to admit we don't see eye to eye.”
- “Grandma's Hands” by Bill Withers. In “Grandma's Hands,” one of the best songs about family love, Bill Withers sings about his admiration for his grandma and his appreciation for her good influence. He sings, “If I get to Heaven, I'll look for Grandma's hands.”
- “Back Home Again” by John Denver. “Back Home Again” expresses the joy shared by a husband and wife in their family home. The husband drives a truck for a living, and John Denver sings to the wife, “There's a fire softly burning; supper's on the stove, but it's the light in your eyes that makes him warm.”
- “Winter” by Tori Amos. In “Winter,” one of the best songs about family love, Tori Amos expresses the love and regard of a supportive father for his daughter as she grows up. She sings, from her father's point of view, “When are you going to love you as much as I do?”
- “Through the Years” by Kenny Rogers. This beautiful song is a testament to the rewards of long-term marriage and how the bond created by husband and wife can grow stronger through sharing life's ups and downs. Kenny Rogers sings, “Can't imagine anything the two of us can't do.”
- “Daddy Sang Bass” by Johnny Cash. This country song, one of the best songs about family love, tells about a family who was dirt poor but “found a silver lining behind every cloud” by finding time to sing together. Johnny Cash sings of their bond, “The circle won't be broken by and by, Lord, by and by.”
- “Coal Miner's Daughter” by Loretta Lynn. In “Coal Miner's Daughter”, Loretta Lynn tells of growing up in “Butcher Holler” and being proud of her father, her mother, and her siblings. In one of the best songs about family love, she sings, “We were poor, but we had love.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.