The 10 best songs about fathers range from country, pop, and rock music. Some of the songs were written to be open for interpretation, but the lyrics can all hold the meaning to be about a father. The topics may range from losing a father, to loving a father but they all have deep meaning and emotionally driven lyrics.
- "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross. Released in 2003, "Dance With My Father" is one of the best songs about fathers because of the emotion it brings out in people that have lost their father. The song was written shortly after he suffered a stroke, and is a tribute to his late father. The song about his father won the Grammy for Best R&B Male Vocalist.
- "The Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. The lyrics for "The Wind Beneath My Wings" are universal, and can apply to a father, child relationship. The song rose to fame when Better Midler recorded it for her movie "Beaches". The lyrics could be interpreted about how much a child loves their father, and how much the child looks up too and appreciates their father.
- "Drive (For Daddy Gene)" by Alan Jackson. Writing the song about his father, Alan Jackson depicts how special his father made him feel. His father always made him feel special. This is one of the best songs about fathers because at the end he turns it into how he hopes his daughters have fond memories of him being a father one day too.
"Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion. Performed by Celine Dion, but written by Diane Warren, the song is about honoring her father. This song is about her father that always supported and believed in her music, and is great for any supporting father.
- "Speechless" by Lady Gaga. Written by Lady Gaga for her father, in hopes it encouraged him to get the heart surgery he kept putting off. The most recent best song about a father, it was released in 2009. The lyrics state that she would give the fame all up for him, if he would only get better.
- "My Father's Eyes" by Eric Clapton. Written in 1998 about how Eric Clapton never knew his father until after he got famous. He "knew" his father (finally) when he looked in his son's eyes, and realized they were his father's eyes. One of the best songs about fathers because even though he did not know him, he will forever be a part of him.
- “Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own” by U2. Bono wrote the song as a tribute to his father who died in 2001. The song reflects on their tense relationship until before his death, when they became closer than ever. This is one of the best songs about fathers because no relationship is perfect, and even if the relationship seems rocky there is always time to improve on it.
- "Song for Dad" by Keith Urban. Written about how as time goes on Urban sees more of his father in him. One of the best songs about fathers because of the powerful lyrics. Moving lyrics include, "I'm proud today to say I'm his son. When somebody says I hope I get to meet your dad I just smile and say you already have."
- "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera. Angry with her father, Christina Aguilera never got to make amends with him before his sudden death. The grief caused so much pain she wrote a song for him telling how she was sorry for blaming him for everything bad that happened in her parents' relationship. The song was released in 2006 on the "Back to Basics" album.
- "Guernica" by Brand New. The lyrics can be interpreted to be a song about losing a father to disease. The lyrics express helplessness to losing someone. Touching lyrics include, "I owe you every day I wake. If I could I would shrink myself and sink through your skin to your blood cells and remove whatever makes you hurt but I am too weak to be your cure."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …