Everybody experiences fear at one point or another so the top 10 songs about fear are likely to remain popular for years to come. There are different kinds of fear and fear impacts different people in a variety of ways but it is an emotion that has spawned some of the best songs of all time.
- “I’m Afraid of Americans,” David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails. When you bring one of the all time great rock stars together with one the best bands of all time you are bound to have a hit song. This is easily the best song about fear and one of the best song of the 90′s.
- “Run to the Hills,” Iron Maiden. It is one thing to be a little nervous but when you have to run to the hills it is because you are really afraid. The English rockers made some of the best songs of the 80′s but this must rank among the top 10.
- “F.E.A.R.” Ian Brown. This song is not all that scary but it is about fear and it is definitely worthy of a spot in the top ten. Ian Brown hasn’t been seen in recent years which is a pity because this song had a nice blend of pop and classical music.
- “Girl Afraid,” The Smiths. It may seem hard to believe now that the Smiths were once regarded as stylish but their music has held up much better than their fashion sense. This song is one of the best among the top 10 of songs about fear.
- “Not Afraid,” Eminem. The once angry rapper from Detroit returned in 2010 with this song about fear. He says he is not afraid and he claims not to be angry any more, but nobody believes him. This is the best recent song on the subject of fear.
- “Enter Sandman,” Metallica. This is a great song for people who want their kids to have sleepless night. The only thing scarier than the thought of monsters hiding under the bed is the thought of Lars Ullrich giving a blow by blow synopses of this song.
- “Afraid,” Nelly Furtado. She has the world at her feet as a hot pop star and yet she is afraid. Nelly has a harder edge to her music these days but there is no disguising her talent and this is one of the best songs about fear.
- ”Man That You Fear,” Marilyn Manson. Anyone who has ever seen rocker Marilyn Manson would feel it’s quite appropriate that he wrote one of the 10 best songs about fear. The thing is that all Marilyn really has to fear is fear of himself.
- “Fear,” Sarah McLachlan. If you were not afraid before your listened to this song about fear you will be once Sarah’s haunting voice begins to reverberate around your home. McLachlan is a great singer and this like most of her songs combines a great voice and a dark message.
- “Fear,” Lily Allen. One rather suspects that Lily Allen’s greatest fear involves a long stint in rehab but nevertheless this less well known song completes the list of the 10 best songs about fear. The English singer knows how to tell a great story and this is one of her best songs yet.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.