10 Best Songs About Friendship
The 10 best songs about friendship come from all different types of artists. Some are timeless classics from the 1960s or 1970s, while others were written more recently. In all of them, the lyrics talk about the foundations of friendship: devotion, loyalty and support.
- "In My Life" by The Beatles. This is perhaps the ultimate of the 10 best songs about friendship, by one of the greatest bands in history. It's simple, sweet and meaningful, with a tinge of nostalgia.
- "Ben" by Michael Jackson. Surprisingly, this song was written for a horror movie of the same name about a rat. Even so, it's a touching message from a boy to his friend.
- "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers. This classic song about supporting a friend was covered by numerous musicians after Bill Withers first recorded it.
- "Thank You for Being a Friend" by Andrew Gold. Yes, this is the theme song from "The Golden Girls." The title alone is enough for it to make the list of best songs about friendship, but it also includes lyrics like, "your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant."
- "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor. James Taylor covered this song, originally written by his friend, Carole King, and it became one of his most popular and famous tracks.
- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel. The lyrics to the title track from Simon and Garfunkel's final album together offer assurance and comfort to a friend in need.
- "I'll Stand By You" by the Pretenders. If you can stand Chrissie Hynde's voice, this is an excellent tune about being true to a friend no matter what.
- "Umbrella" by Rihanna. The most recent song to make the list, "Umbrella" gives friendship anthems a catchy update.
- "Anytime You Need a Friend" by Mariah Carey. This song surely appeared on mix tapes traded by hundreds of middle school girls in the 1990s.
- "Two of Us" by The Beatles. Only The Beatles deserve to be on the list of the 10 best songs about friendship twice. This song, sung as a duet by Paul McCartney and John Lennon, offers fantastic lyrics about enduring friendship, including, "You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead."