If you're looking for the 10 best songs about grandparents, you won't likely find these in the top 40. Grandmothers and grandfathers cannot compete with hot girls and hot guys when it comes to song subject matter. Therefore, you'll notice how many of the songs on this list come from more mature artists. The kids are into kid's stuff. But once you grow up, you start to think and write about grown up material. Here now are ten great songs about the wise old folks in our lives.
- "Grandad"– Clive Dunn — Herbie Flowers, the man that played bass on Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side," wrote this one for Clive Dunn, a BBC comedy series actor.
- "Grandma's Hands" — Bill Withers — Bill Withers respected his grandmother for the way she looked out for unwed mothers, as well as her own family. She truly was an inspiration to Bill.
- "Grandpa" — Justin Moore –This song reflects Johnson's feelings about his grandfathers, who always seemed like super men to him.
- "In Color" — Jamey Johnson — This hit for Jamey Johnson was the 2009 Academy of Country Music award winner for Song of the Year in 2009. His grandfather never knew of the success Jamey would achieve in music.
- "Tell You Something (Nana's Reprise)" — Alicia Keys — Keys' song about her grandmother's death is filled with regret. Keys left a lot of things unsaid; things she really wishes she could say to her now.
- "Enough For Now" — The Fray — The Fray's leader, Isaac Slade, wrote this one while dealing with the death of his grandfather. Writing it helped him gain a little perspective on this pivotal event in his life.
- "Love, Me" — Collin Raye — Although Collin Raye recorded this song, respected Nashville songwriter Skip Ewing actually wrote it about his grandparents. They were thoroughbred ranchers in Southern California.
- "My Best Friend Is You" — Kate Nash — This sweet song about longtime love came about because of the respect Nash has for her grandparents, who have been married for over 50 years.
- "Silent House" — The Dixie Chicks — This is a sad song. It was inspired by lead singer Natalie Maines' grandmother who struggled with Alzheimer's disease.
- "Son of a Son of a Sailor" — Jimmy Buffett — Jimmy Buffett's grandfather was a real life sailor from Nova Scotia. No wonder Buffett loves being around water so much.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …