With all those big egos in the music business, why is it so easy to find 10 songs about hating yourself? Well, having talent and high self-esteem don't always go hand in hand. Rock stars have inner pain too, you know. There are many good examples—too many, perhaps, in the hard rock field—but below are the ten best.
- “I Hate Myself For Loving You” – Joan Jett - Joan Jett doesn't really hate herself because of low self-esteem. She despises herself for loving such a dirtbag. But this is still the best self-hatred song of all time.
- "Because of You" – Kelly Clarkson - Who knew an American Idol success story could hurt so bad? This is a borderline tragic song, and a rare situation where all of the drama in a pop song is actually warranted.
- “Creep” – Radiohead – Thom Yorke calls himself a creep and a weirdo in this one. Maybe it's because of the lazy eye. Perhaps it's because they hadn't yet become one of the biggest bands in the world.
- "Self Esteem” – The Offspring – The Offspring was successful with this song because singer Dexter Holland sang what most teenagers were thinking. However, they'd never admit to low self esteem, so Holland had to say it for them.
- “Loser” – Beck – "I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me," Beck sings. Good thing he didn't get knocked off, though, or we wouldn't have had all the great albums that came after this first big hit.
- “I’m a Loser” – The Beatles – When The Beatles called themselves losers, they were talking about losing a girl, and not being, you know, total losers. Nevertheless, they sure expressed what it feels like to be at the bottom of the world.
- “Hurt” – Johnny Cash – Johnny Cash nailed this one, so to speak, because he sang it at the end of his life while looking back on his past sins. It just carried so much more weight when performed at that advanced age.
- “I Hate Myself and I Want to Die”- Nirvana – In some cases, the song title says it all. Kurt Cobain wasn't exactly subtle here.
- “Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now” – The Smiths – As Morrissey sings here, you may be happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows you'll eventually be miserable.
- “Can't Stand Losing You” – The Police – In this song, Sting contemplates suicide. Fat chance! That guy could never do himself in because he's just so full of himself. Even so, he wrote a great, self-hating pop song.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.