The best songs about heroes talk about everyday heroes, superheroes and the heroes who helped you achieve your own dreams. Whether the genre is rock and roll, country or pop, there are a number of songs honoring society’s heroes. Whether its Superman or a fellow musician, these songs about heroes pay tribute to those who came before.
- “Heroes and Villains” by The Beach Boys – The Beach Boys released “Heroes and Villains” in 1967, one of the more lyrical songs by the pop band, and one of the best songs about Heroes. The song reached No. 12 on the Billboard charts and received a reedited rerelease in 1990.
- “We Don’t Need Another Hero” by Tina Turner – This Tina Turner hit from 1985 is the theme song from “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome,” one of the best songs about heroes. The song during the movie is shorter than the album version, which plays for over six minutes. The song received a Golden Globe and Emmy nomination in 1986.
- “My Hero” by Foo Fighters – Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters said he wrote this, one of the best songs about heroes, because he feels he never had any heroes growing up. Instead of looking at heroes like musicians or athletes, it is about having a hero who is just an ordinary man.
- “Juke Box Hero” by Foreigner – This 1981 hit song is hair band’s entry to the list of best songs about heroes. Foreigner released this on their album “4” about a kid who is influenced at a concert to buy a guitar and try to be a musician. He becomes successful and, later in life, encounters a kid outside of one of his concerts who reminds him of himself.
- “The World Needs a Hero” by Megadeth – Metal band Megadeth released this title track, one of the best songs about heroes, from their ninth album in 2001. The song talks about how everyone from the White House to the UN and NATO needs heroes to help them.
- “Heroes” by David Bowie – This 1977 David Bowie release, one of the more popular songs about heroes, tells the story of two young lovers in Berlin. The two lovers meet up under the shadow of the Berlin Wall, professing their love. The song was not popular at the time of release but a number of different bands have covered it over the years, keeping it in the public mind.
- “Hero” by Chad Kroeger and Josey Scott – The lead singers of Nickelback and Saliva teamed up to make this song, which appeared in the soundtrack to the movie “Spider-Man,” becoming one of the best songs about heroes. The recording also includes the guitarist from Theory of a Deadman and drummer from Pearl Jam.
- “Heroes and Friends” by Randy Travis – Country superstar Randy Travis created this song for his duets album. One of the best country songs about heroes, this song is a dedication to all the musicians that influenced Randy Travis as well as his contemporaries.
- “Superman’s Song” by Crash Test Dummies – This song was the first hit single for the cult band, Crash Test Dummies. The song talks about how Superman was a true hero who only wanted to persevere to help others. It asks if there will ever be another man like this, one of the more touching songs about heroes.
- “Everyday Superhero” by Smash Mouth – Smash Mouth was a popular rock band, thanks to their hits “All Star and “Walkin’ on the Sun,” but in 2006 released this song about heroes. The song also featured on the soundtrack for the Vin Diesel film “The Pacifier.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.