Whether singing about a thoroughbred or a broken down, loyal old paint, these 10 best songs about horses will have you ready to saddle up. Sometimes the horse in the song is symbolic, sometimes literal, but in all these songs, the horse provides powerful imagery.
- "Horse With No Name" by America The nameless horse takes our crooner into the desert, facing the pain and isolation of human existence. This rock classic is guaranteed to get stuck in your head. You are probably already singing it.
- "Wildfire" by Michael Martin Murphey This sad melody tells the tale of a girl so dedicated to her horse that she risked everything. Her broken-hearted love sings of his grief and hope of reunion one day in that great pasture in the sky.
- "Wild Horses" by The Rolling Stones Mick Jagger tells us of his devotion to his lady in this ballad. No matter the obstacle, nothing can drag him away from his love.
- "I Ride an Old Paint" by Woody Guthrie Horsemen are known to be loyal to their steeds. In this song, our singer's wish is to have his bones carried to the prairie on the back of his horse. His horse may not be a thoroughbred, but he is priceless to his owner.
- "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" by K.T. Tunstall This is an upbeat, rhythmic tune with cryptic lyrics that tell of love, loss, rejection and regret. The gothic themes of the black horse and the tree reflect Tunstall's Scottish heritage.
- "Heavy Horses" by Jethro Tull Hardworking plow horses that tilled the soil and are honored in this Jethro Tull classic. The lyrics also lament the loss of man's connection with nature and the earth in the age of mechanization.
- "Back in the Saddle Again" by Gene Autry The original singing cowboy brings us this tune about returning to the freedom of the range. With his horse, his gun and the stars above, Autry is right at home. This is one of the greatest cowboy songs of all time.
- "Live Like Horses" by Elton John This tune is not about an actual horse, but about the horse as a symbol of freedom from societal restraint. The song tells of heartbreak, frustration and broken promises.
- "Wild Horses" by Garth Brooks This is a true modern cowboy song about the lure of the road and the rodeo circuit. Meanwhile, his woman at home is losing patience with the broken promises, but he can't seem to give up his rodeo dream.
- "Three Horses" by Joan Baez The horses in this haunting melody represent the past, present and future. Baez sings of pain and fear today and a bleak outlook for humanity.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.