Deceit is a favorite topic of songwriters, and here are the 10 best songs about lies. These songs are biting tunes of betrayal, love gone wrong, and other tragedies brought on by untruth. They are often bitter, sometimes sarcastic, and even funny. The 10 best songs about lies tell the truth about human behavior; we often lie, and hope we can get away with it. Here they are, the 10 best songs about lies.
- "Idiot Wind" by Bob Dylan. Dylan's bitterest breakup song compares his lover's lies to the bluster of the title. It is a fitting beginning for our list of the 10 best songs about lies because it is angry, bitter, biting, and often darkly funny.
- "Lies" by the Knickerbockers. This chastising song toward an untruthful woman is couched in Beatles-influenced harmonies. It was a minor hit after the British Invasion, when many American groups aped the Merseybeat sound. It endures because its sentiment lives on: "Lies, lies…breakin' my heart!"
- "Liar, Liar" by the Castaways. Another garage rock hit from the sixties turns the childhood rhyme, "Liar, liar, pants on fire, nose is longer than a telephone wire" into a haunting chorus chant. Again, it's a story of a girl who won't be true, a prominent theme in many of the best songs about lies.
- "Rebellion (Lies)" by the Arcade Fire. This political statement from indie rock's most sincere band calls for rebellion against the lies of administrations around the world. It would be a bit heavy-handed if not for its soaring, sing-a-long chorus, which turns it into one of the best songs about lies.
- "La La La Lies" by the Who. This infectiously angry ditty from the Who's first album, "My Generation," again uses a a sing-song chant to taunt a nameless liar. Though never a hit for the band, it was an early favorite in live sets and lives on today as one of the best songs about lies.
- "You're Telling Me Lies" by ? and the Mysterians. The question mark and his merry band churned out this garage rock banger, complete with infectious Farfisa organ, in their sixties heyday. It is another punchy, simple rock number, one of the best songs about lies to play when just learning guitar.
- "The Biggest Lie" by Elliott Smith. With this tragically deceased singer-songwriter, it's often hard to tell if he's addressing someone else or his own self-destructive persona in many of his songs. In this beautiful ballad, he seems to be singing about how his own life is the biggest lie of the title. It is a haunting addition to the best songs about lies.
- "Die For Your Government" by Anti-Flag. This political punk band churned out this protest anthem in the punk revival of the 1990s. It proclaims no one need die for the government if it lies to its people, in the bluntest terms possible. It may not be clever, but it is rousing, a different aspect of songs about lies.
- "Miserable Lie" by the Smiths. Morrissey penned the lyrics for the seminal 1980s janglers' entry on our list of the best songs about lies. The lie here is love itself, that love is the miserable lie of the title. If there is a more typically Morrissey sentiment out there, what could it possibly be?
- "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem and Rihanna. Eminem's hit single, featuring pop diva Rihanna on the hook, is another song about love being a lie, but with a twist. The protagonists of the song would rather have lovers lie to them than admit the painful truth. It closes out our list of the best songs about lies with a slightly different perspective.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …