The ten best songs about loss can deal with the death of a loved one or a relationship that has ended. The theme of loss can be either emotional or material. Musical artists have been writing and singing songs of loss for ages. Songs of loss can help people grieve and fondly recall loved ones. Here are the ten best songs about loss.
- “Tears In Heaven” – in this 1992 heart breaking song Eric Clapton sings of the tragic loss of his young son. Clapton sings of the devastating impact of the loss of a child and rhetorically asks if his son would recognize him in heaven.
- “My Heart Will Go On” – this lovely Celine Dion tune was the theme song for the movie “Titanic”. It is a story of young lovers where the young lady survives but the young man does not. The young lady vows that their love will go on in her heart.
- “If Ever You’re In My Arms Again” – this is a beautiful, romantic song is about the loss of a lover. This song tells the story of a man reminiscing about a lost love and hoping for a second chance. The man vows if he had a second chance he would love her forever. Peabo Bryson gives a wonderful performance in singing this song.
- “Candle In The Wind” – this tribute to Marilyn Monroe was written by Bernie Taupin and performed by the great Elton John. John did a remake in 1997 as a tribute to Princess Diana.
- “In the Arms of the Angels” – Sarah McLachlan wrote this song for a fellow musician who was addicted to heroin and died of an overdose. McLachlan does a superb job in describing addiction and this well performed song is a heart felt tribute to her friend.
- “Abraham, Martin and John” – This song by Dion is a tribute to Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy. The lyrics deal with the senseless assassinations of these men and reflects on the ideals they stood for.
- “The Way We Were” – this tune is the theme song of the movie of the same name. The song reminisces about an earlier time in life and a love lost. The song is sung by Barbara Streisand; she also starred in the movie.
- “Honey” – this tune sung by Bobby Goldsboro is very sad. It tells the story of a man who misses his love Honey who passed away; he sings of how much he misses her.
- “Cat’s in the Cradle” – this 1974 folk song was a hit for Harry Chapin. The song is about a lost relationship between a father and son. As the son is young the father is too busy to spend time with him; as they age the adult son is to busy to spend time with his dad.
- “I Will Always Love You” – this lovely song written by Dolly Parton is about a splitting of the ways. Parton said the song was written for Porter Wagoner as their business relationship was ending. Whitney Houston performs the song in the move ‘The Bodyguard”. The movie is clearly about the loss of a love that was not meant to be.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.