Nature has always been an inspiration for art, and popular music is no different: the 10 best songs about nature come from some of rock and roll history's most enduring artists. This list ranges from songs about nature's enduring beauty to those using nature's wonders as a metaphor for love. Many of these songs are best heard outdoors. Listen and enjoy the 10 best songs about nature – or if you're not the song type, enjoy top nature videos instead:
- "Mother Nature's Son" by the Beatles – It's fitting the list of 10 best songs about nature should be topped by the greatest musical act of the rock and roll era, the Beatles. Inspired by their visit to the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, this song was primarily composed by Paul McCartney and is a beautiful ode to the wonders of the world.
- "Green River" by Creedence Clearwater Revival – One of the most down-home sounding bands of the classic rock era, CCR churned out this ode to Putah Creek in California. The driving beat of the song fits the feel of moving waters well.
- "Box of Rain" by the Grateful Dead – One of the saddest on this list of 10 best songs about nature, "Box of Rain" tackles the end that always occurs in nature: death. This beautiful song opened the Dead's classic "American Beauty" album.
- "River Deep, Mountain High" by Ike & Tina Turner – Nature becomes the power of love in this entry on the list of 10 best songs about nature. Tina Turner's vocal and Phil Spector's arrangement make this a powerful, enduring song.
- "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell – One of the classic lines about civilization encroaching on nature comes from this song. "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot," indeed.
- "Nothing But Flowers" by Talking Heads – The new wave heavyweights took a different approach in their entry on this list of 10 best songs about nature. They sing of a world after civilization, returned to nature; a powerful idea to say the least.
- "Mykonos" by Fleet Foxes – One of the newer entries on the list of best songs about nature is this powerful indie-folk ode. The harmonies on the bridge signify all the beauty nature has to offer.
- "Meadow" by Espers – Espers, a modern psychedelic band, evoke lush forests and the spell of pine with their evocative music. "Meadow" is probably their best ode to the pagan power of nature videos.
- "Going Up the Country" by Canned Heat – This Woodstock-era song is a paean to simpler times. Its message still rings true to this day.
- "Nature Boy" by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds – The message of this song is that beauty will save the world. Nick Cave's impassioned vocals and the gospel arrangement of the song make it a perfect capper to this list of 10 best songs about nature.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."