If there’s a wedding around the corner or you just want to say something special to mom or dad, it’s always helpful to have a list of the 10 best songs about parents to refer to. They dry our tears, bandage our cuts and kiss our boo-boos and, sometimes, it’s really important to take the time to show our parents how much they mean to us. Whether you’re remembering a parent that’s recently passed or just saying “I love you” to the people who raised you, check out some of the best songs about parents, right here.
- “Cats In the Cradle” by Harry Chapin One of the best songs about absent parents is the Harry Chapin tune “Cats In the Cradle.” Telling the tale of a father who missed most of his son’s childhood, this song reminds us of how fast kids grow up and how we should enjoy every moment we have with them.
- “Butterfly Kisses” by Bob Carlisle A beautiful song for fathers and daughters alike, “Butterfly Kisses” is one of the best songs about parents for those who enjoy beautiful country ballads. This song tells the story of a father watching his little girl grow up and thanking God for the joy of her love.
- “Thank You, Mom” by Good Charlotte One of the best songs about parents (particularly moms) is Good Charlotte’s tribute to single moms everywhere. You can’t help but be moved by this sweet song, reminding mom that she will be “beautiful forever.”
- “Sunrise, Sunset” by “Fiddler on the Roof” cast If you enjoy musicals, chances are that you’ll agree that “Sunrise, Sunset” is probably one of the most moving songs about parents. The parents of a couple remember the children growing up on their wedding day.
- “Teach Your Children” by Crosby Stills Nash and Young One of the best songs about parents and their relationships with their children, this classic tune is beautiful and moving, reminding parents to teach their children well. It also offers an important lesson for children as well.
- “Children Will Listen” by “Into the Woods” cast Bernadette Peters plays a witch who hides her beloved, adopted (stolen) daughter away in a tower to keep her safe. One of the most powerful songs about parents, this haunting ballad reminds us that children do, in fact, listen. Be careful what wishes you make and the tales you tell children. It creates a special kind of magic indeed.
- “In My Daughter’s Eyes” by Martina McBride Martina McBride is known for her beautiful songs about parents and children and this one is no exception. A mother sings about how beautiful and wonderful the world seems through her daughter’s eyes. Parents can’t help but relate to this one and the inspiration we can find in our children.
- “Baby Girl” by Sugarland One of the best songs about parents and the relationship they have with their children, “Baby Girl” tells the story of a young girl striking it out on her own and communicating her dreams to her parents through a series of letters.
- “I Will Remember You” by Sarah McLachlan If you want to choose one of the best songs about parents and how, as you head out into the world, you won’t forget them, this song is about as heartfelt as they come. Delivered by the talented songstress Sarah McLachlan, this song works well in a variety of situations.
- “This Woman’s Work” by Kate Bush One of the best songs about parents that deals with the transition from man and woman to father and mother, this is a heartfelt ballad that reminds us to cherish every moment that we spend with those we love. A wonderful song for new parents or those who are expecting, it encourages support and love.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.