The sun rises every day, and it seems every day too a song is written about it; the 10 best songs about the sun often use the sun itself as a metaphor for something else entirely. Sometimes, though, as with a few entries on our list, celebrating bright light and warm weather is what it's all about. Here they are, our 10 best songs about the sun.
- "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles – The Beatles top our list of the 10 best songs about the sun, as they top many musical lists. A George Harrison-penned track from "Abbey Road," it is light and beautiful and one of the band's most memorable compositions.
- "California Sun" by the Rivieras – This surf-and-sand classic is a celebration of everything about California's beachy warm weather vibe. Recorded by many artists, the Rivieras' original version is the one to make our list of the 10 best songs about the sun.
- "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream – The sun is often equated with love in music and poetry; so it is with this Cream hit. One of the most iconic riffs of sixties rock leads off this the intro to this entry on our list of best songs about the sun.
- "Play in the Sunshine" by Prince – An odd track from Prince's sprawling "Sign O' The Times" album, it is the Paisley Park auteur at his quirky best. It is one of the best songs about the sun despite its utter strangeness.
- "Another Sunny Day" by Belle & Sebastian – A sweet love song with a surprisingly propulsive backbeat, "Another Sunny Day" is the best song from Belle & Sebastian's "The Life Pursuit" album. It is also one of the best songs about the sun recorded in the 2000s.
- "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" by Pink Floyd – This space rock, Sci-fi drone comes from Floyd's more experimental early years. It is different than many of our other entries but still belongs on our list of best songs about the sun.
- "Staring at the Sun" by TV on the Radio – TV on the Radio's dissonant indie rock is highlighted by looped vocals harmonizing with one another. That trademark is best illustrated on "Staring at the Sun," probably the band's most well-known song.
- "Sunshine Rain" by King's X – A hard-hitting alt-rock ballad, this dynamic song could be about a lover or about God. It's hard to tell, but the sun shines through the rain on this lovely track.
- "Honey in the Sun" by Camera Obscura – Belle & Sebastian's Scottish comrades come in with this Northern Soul-tinged cut. It is an unabashed unrequited love song and belongs on our list of the 10 best songs about the sun.
- "Good Day Sunshine" by the Beatles – The Beatles close out the list as well with this "Revolver" cut. It is a fitting capper for our list of the 10 best songs about the sun.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.