When looking for songs of inspiration and empowerment, you'll want to check out the 10 best songs about women. Although the theme in each song may vary greatly, the songs are all tied together by their primary subject: women.
"Free to Be a Woman," as performed by Jennifer Love Hewitt, is a song about the joys and freedoms of being a woman. It's a song off her debut album. Although it was recorded when she was only a teenager, her voice is bold and powerful. It's a really fun song about women.
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper is the all-time anthem for partying women. It's probably the song that most people associate with Cyndi, and it's a song that almost everybody has heard. It's a great song for singing and dancing and celebrating womanhood.
- "Miss Independent" is a song about women from Kelly Clarkson. It's a song about falling in love, even if you set yourself up not to do so. Following your heart is a must, even for women who are independent.
- "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar" performed by Helen Reddy was one of the very first empowerment songs for women. Its lyrics include, "I am woman, hear me roar In numbers too big to ignore. And I know too much to go back and pretend."
- "When God-fearing Women Get the Blues" by Martina McBride speaks on what can happen when women are wronged. It's a fun, tongue-in-cheek sort of song, but it speaks from the perspective of a woman who's husband is cheating and about how there's going to be heck to pay. It's also a song that pays homage to some fun, indulgent things that southern women do that they laugh at about themselves.
- "Independent Women" by Destiny's Child is another song of empowerment. You may remember it from the "Charlie's Angels" film soundtrack. It's a song about the fun, freedom and euphoria of supporting oneself and being self-reliant as a woman.
- "Mysterious Ways" by U2 is about the ways of a woman. The group "MMC" did a cover version of this song, with J.C. Chasez (who would later sing with 'N Sync) on lead vocals. The song is timeless and catchy.
"Legend of a Cowgirl" by Imani Coppola is a song about a woman who keeeps on going. It's about the woman that the singer hopes to be. She's someone who doesn't rely on anyone and lives life on her own terms.
- "American Woman" performed by the Guess Who is a classic. It's lyrics are adaptable to many situations, but it's a rock and roll song that will get you moving and thinking.
- "This One's For the Girls" is another empowering song by Martina McBride. It's a song that covers many phases of life for a woman, from 13 to when she's at the age where she feels the need to throw pennies into the fountain of youth. The singer delivers a powerful message: she's great just the way she is.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …