If you need some music to get you through a long work week, add these 10 best songs about work to your playlist. The songs below all deal with the trials of working life and can help you feel better about your situation. Turn to these songs when you’re suffering through the daily grind and need a little musical sympathy.
- “Working for the Weekend” This song about work by Loverboy sums up most attitudes towards work: Get it done, so you can reach the weekend and party hard. The song was released in 1981 and is the perfect upbeat song that can get you through a long Friday shift.
- “Takin’ Care of Business” This Bachman-Turner Overdrive song was released in 1973 and still stands as one of the best songs about work. The song contains a playful reminder that the only way to truly get rid of a grueling job is to become your own employer.
- “Proud Mary” This song about work has been covered by both Creedence Clearwater Revival and Tina Turner. The singer rebels against a job, suffering under the man and instead hitches a ride on the Proud Mary.
- “Bang the Drum All Day” The 1983 song by Todd Rundgren is an expression of how most people feel every Monday morning when their alarm clock goes off. This song about work is all about not wanting to go into work and just hang around, banging on a drum. If only life was that simple.
- “Welcome to the Working Week” The Elvis Costello classic is one of the best songs about work. The title pretty much sums it all up. Costello has one of the more pessimistic outlooks on work of the songs on this list, but it's perfect to listen to when you're feeling a bit jaded.
- “A Hard Day’s Night” This 1964 Beatles classic is all about slaving away at work, so you can come home and be comforted by the one you love. The band sings that it may be a tough work day, but as soon as you get alone with your girl, all will be well in bed.
- “Manic Monday” The 1980's Bangles song is a fluffy ode to the never ending disasters of a Monday morning. From missing your train to oversleeping because you had late night sex that night prior, the Bangles sum up many people’s typical Monday blues.
- “Maggie’s Farm” This 1965 Bob Dylan classic is all about how the singer refuses to work on Maggie’s farm anymore. Although the farm can be interpreted in many different ways, his song provides a great protest against worthless, unfulfilling labor.
- “9 to 5” The 1980 Dolly Parton song is a fun, but strong-willed work song about the toils of a 9 to 5 office job where your boss is a jerk and you always have to work late. If you’re ticked off at your boss, you’ll definitely want to play this song on your way to work.
- “Workin’ For a Living” Huey Lewis and the News released this classic song about work in the 1980s. The song is all about being stuck in a job for its weekly paycheck. If you have a dead end job, take comfort in this song.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.