If you're looking for the 10 best songs by female R&B singers, look no further than this collection of R&B classics. While R&B, like rap among other genres, have been over-saturated with bland and cliched music, there have been numerous amounts of memorable smash hits over the last twenty years or so. R&B reached its high point in the 1990s when performers like En Vogue, Brandy and Toni Braxton gave a sound and feel to the genre. In 2000, few artists, such as Ciara, continued to bring that milestone of creativity forward.
- "Sittin' Up in My Room" Brandy Released off her self-titled debut album "Brandy" as well as the award-winning "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack, Brandy's "Sittin' Up in My Room" is a hip and danceable mid-tempo R&B jam that is unlike anything heard on the radio today. The song is a signature R&B performance in of itself.
- "Breathe Again" Toni Braxton Having won a Grammy for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance (the second consecutive Grammy to be earned by Ms. Braxton), Toni Braxton's "Breathe Again" is a nostalgic and powerful mid-tempo R&B ballad that tells the tale of a relationship that has run its course.
- "Promise" Ciara Rarely do we see a repeat of the magic that was R&B music from back in the '90s make an appearance in 2000. However, one of those rare cases happens to be Ciara's "Promise," an attractive mid-tempo ballad that brings back memories of Aaliyah's melodic work.
- "Forever Your Girl" Paula Abdul "Forever Your Girl" delves deep into themes of loyalty in a relationship in which Abdul proclaims that she will rise above whatever rumors may be afloat and remain faithful to her lover. "Forever Your Girl" is a hot R&B staple that combines a danceable fast-tempo, strong melody and inspiring vocals.
- "Always Be My Baby" Mariah Carey Having won a Grammy nomination for the Best Female R&B Vocal Performance category, Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" is another classic display of her empowering and mesmerizing vocal talents all backed by a cuddly, low-tempo ballad.
- "So Into You" Tamia Borrowing a modified sample from the '80s classic "Say Yeah" by The Commodores, Tamia's "So Into You" is a fantastic display of unique R&B music from the 1990s era. The song has a mid-tempo rhythm that rises to overwhelming heights during each chorus.
- "At Your Best (You Are Love)" Aaliyah featuring R. Kelly "At Your Best (You Are Love)" was one of the first few songs that helped launch R&B singer Aaliyah to superstardom in the music industry. Featuring some vocals by R. Kelly, Aaliyah showcases her talents with exquisite lyrics and a soothing melody that just begs you to turn your lights down low.
- "My Lovin' (Never Gonna Get It)" En Vogue Lifting a sample from "The Payback" by James Brown, this R&B smash hit remains as one of the highest ranking '90s songs according to VH1. The En Vogue ladies are sultry and sexy, but they do it with style unlike many artists today. This is one of their best showcases of this.
- "One Sweet Day" Mariah Carey featuring Boyz II Men Known to be one of the longest-running Hot 100 Billboard singles ever, the award-winning "One Sweet Day" was inspired by the deaths of fellow business friends of both Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men. This song is one the best showcases of Mariah's voice. It's too bad she can't match that now–she's too busy copying what everyone else is doing (i.e. Auto-Tune and bland music).
- "4Ever" by Lil' Mo featuring Fabolous Lil' Mo collaborates with Fabolous on this unique blend of hip-hop and R&B on the underrated "4Ever," a song in which a woman expresses her desire to marry a man, gives him her all and go the whole nine yards. The song is melodic and feverish; however, the verse done by Fabolous didn't do anything for the song, so it could have gone without it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…